Where do you get your supplies?

Ghillie_55

Lil-Rokslider
Curious where everyone gets their supplies?

I've done alot of shopping at Ripstop by the Roll and have been more than happy. But where does everyone else go?

Are there certain sites you go to for certain things? Where do you get your cordura/webbing? Someplace special for hardware?

Felix40

WKR
Generally ebay is where you can find the best prices on a lot of stuff. I dont buy a lot but thats where I check first.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Rockywoods is great for zippers and such. If you need enough hardware to make the shipping worthwhile hudson4supplies out of Canada. Ebay is good for odds/ends as well.

ckossuth

Lil-Rokslider
X2 on Hudson's. Whiskey Two Four has great 500D cordura. I purchased several yards of Highlander through them. Excellent quality!

Last edited:

WKR
eBay. I mostly make river gear so I use alot of phiphertex. I find "roll remnants" often and pick them up cheap (be sure you're clear on shipping, that can kill the "savings"). Usually these remnants are between 5 and 20 yards.

Scored what amounts to a lifetime supply of stainless grommets a few years ago for $5.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
Ghillie_55

Ghillie_55

Lil-Rokslider
eBay. I mostly make river gear so I use alot of phiphertex. I find "roll remnants" often and pick them up cheap (be sure you're clear on shipping, that can kill the "savings"). Usually these remnants are between 5 and 20 yards.

Scored what amounts to a lifetime supply of stainless grommets a few years ago for $5.

Phiphertex.....never heard of that before, how do you use that for your river gear?

WKR
Phiphertex.....never heard of that before, how do you use that for your river gear?
It's the stiff PVC covered polyester mesh you see on drop bags, mesh duffle bags, sun shades... That kind of stuff. Pretty sure the place I get alot from makes covers for gravel trucks, which explains why 20 yards can be considered a remnant.

AGPank

WKR
+1 for Hudson for buckles and those related components.

There is an eBay seller who has straps, cordura nylon webbing pointdexter114.

Another eBay seller fabric_2nds sells miscellaneous cordura and fabrics. I just bought 2 yards of border patrol green 500d for $6.

Looking for zipper supplier.

Sometime amazon can find stuff.

Last edited:

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I get some from ripstop, eBay, Hudson, bearpawwd, liteoutdoors, there's a few others I have written down at home for specific things but can't remember them off the top of my head.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
The bigger zipper wieght more but don't jam up like the smaller tooth zipper will.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Who knew zippers were so complicated? Which is the way to go for pockets, bags, pullouts? I was looking at #8RC.

Its all a balance. The larger zippers are stronger but take up more space, esp. the zipper pull bodies get larger (longer/wider/taller). For small stuff I'll use #5 (this is what is on many jackets) since the zipper pull doesn't take up as much usable zipper length, if there is room in the design I use #8. I keep both around, you certainly could use #8 for most stuff if you planned accordingly. #10 is big and clunky, I only use that on a larger pack body (my personal day packs I used #8 on the body zippers but they are 2000-2500cuin rather than 5000+ and I carry loads behind the pack).

AGPank

WKR
Thanks pods8!

I just picked up a lifetime supply of #8 RC YKK water resistant zipper. (200 yards).

I will gladly sell some of this to anyone who wants some, and cheap. I will post an add when it arrives.

Thanks pods8!

I just picked up a lifetime supply of #8 RC YKK water resistant zipper. (200 yards).

I will gladly sell some of this to anyone who wants some, and cheap. I will post an add when it arrives.

Sent you a message

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squirrels

WKR
I'm needing some sort of material to use in making a pouch have some rigidness, as well as some material for padding. What do you guys suggest and where is a good source for said material?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Closed cell foam for padding. If you just need small stuff they sell craft foam called "foamies" in 12" sheets. Otherwise you will need to hit a foam supply place.

Squirrels

WKR
I am wanting to make a roll top dry sack. Anyone know what and where to get some type of plastic to sew along the top rim to add some rigidness? not sure if that makes any sense.

MIKEYB

WKR
Anybody have a lead on some eVent fabric? Was thinking of doing up a DIY bivy.

Tbuckus

WKR
I cut a piece out of an old plastic cutting board. Dollar store may have one you can buy and have an endless supply.