Need some sewing assistance

Squirrels

WKR
I'd like to start making some zippered pullouts and drawcord stuff sacks. I've read a few threads to get some info but I am ignorant when it comes to machines and which materials to use. My wife has a cheap machine (Brother LX 2500). I am hoping it is sufficient to get started, I'd like to make my own shelter down the road once I get some smaller things under my belt. what thread do I use, do I use standard bobbin or something different, what material is best for ultrlight pullouts, what stitch pattern do I use, needle size? The machine will do button holes for drawcord stuff. I'm sure this has been asked many times so I apologize and if there is a couple threads you know of that answer my questions please point me in that direction. Seems like it would be pretty easy to make stuff custom and for cheaper, plus I enjoy tinkering.

Kustom

FNG
For your first pullouts any nylon thread will work. Machine should be fine. I use straight stitch on my pullouts.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Ghillie_55

Lil-Rokslider
Your wife's machine should be able to do the light weight stuff for sure! Id definitely try it out on there first.

I have only purchased fabric from Ripstop by the roll. Ive really liked this fabric. I bought the DWR/PU3000 coating. Material is not too thin, its strong, and has a nice coating. I also used the uretek coil zippers on them. This isnt the lightest setup, but strong and water resistant.

Thread recommended by RSBTR is the Mara70 thread. They have it basically color matched to all their fabrics. They recommend a 90/14 needle for this thread.

Im using the standard bobbin in my Singer. Nothing special for machines are needed beside a zipper foot to do pullouts.

Here is a how to on RSBTR on how to make the pullouts. And here is the video within on how to sew on the zippers.

How I like to do the zippers i believe is how he is doing it in the video but its hard to see. I put the fabric right side up all cut to size infront of me. I take the zipper and cut to length leaving about an inch or more on each top and bottom (so if fabric is 10x10, cut zipper 12'' in length).

I mark the tops of both sides of the zipper so I know they are mating up correctly when I sew them.

I pull the zippers apart and take one side of zipper and flip it wrong side up. Then I face the teeth into the center of the fabric. Sew the zipper with cloth edge lined up with the edge of fabric. Run one line down it. Do other side the same way.

Then roll the zipper over to create the double seam and run a line down it. Then do the same for other side and install zippers. Im sure there are 1000 different ways to do it, but thats the way I like.

Here are two pics on how I do the zippers. Hope this helps the explanation!

View attachment 48515
View attachment 48516

OP
Squirrels

Squirrels

WKR
So I found some material laying around the house and I made a sack for my sawyer. Not pretty but turned out okay for my first attempt.
e61ac04cd80f02cf3de757d0efc451f5.jpg
b8ca2f57ef1d3a770c07596062a31a4b.jpg
1b478cf2d7d671c41f7101144ba68c8e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcr-85

WKR
He has a calculator for pull outs and stuff sacks on there. I'm in the process of making some pullouts as well.

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely read colonel's thread. I recently posted my first pullout and it was based on his thread and great pictures of the process. Besides some terrible "straight" stitches (far from straight), it actually came together fairly well. I used some scrap camo material my mother in law gave me and my kids love their new stash bags. I bought the rest of a bolt of ripstop nylon (non coated) from Walmart that I found on clearance for $1.50 a yard. They don't have it labeled that and I don't believe the employees know what it is, so good luck on having someone answer questions about it for you there. But, it's a great place to get some very light weight material for practicing. I paid $4.50 and have a bunch to work with now on stuff sacks and such. Hard to beat that.

I ended up buying Gutterman 100% polyester thread "extra strong" from Joanne fabrics. They didn't have Mara 50 or 70 at the store, but the stuff I got was just so I could practice making stuff. I plan to get the 70 when I make some orders for a quilt or other items from RSBTR. I also managed to find some grosgrain when I was there, so I'm going to see about incorporating some of that into a project or two, as well. I'm loving trying to make the different gear instead of paying someone else.

Jeremy