Need some quilt material advice

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
I have plans to make a synthetic quilt and am looking at ordering the quilt kit from RSBTR. I am thinking I'll get the 5.0 oz climashield insulation for a decent 3 season quilt. The things on my list for importance of materials was primarily 2 things: the inner shell needed to be of fabric that was very comfortable against the body and the outer shell I want to be durable.

I hate the clammy feel you get from being next to cheap nylon, etc. when waking up, so I did some emailing and reading and it sounded like the 1.0 Hyper D would be a good choice for the inside. It's breathable and is apparently pretty soft to the touch. Anyone have thoughts on this?

The outer shell is giving me some trouble... The quilt kit gives you the option of choosing from a number of their materials and I'd kind of like to get an outer shell from one of their XL fabrics since it comes wider and I'd have extra material for other stuff. I was looking at their fabrics and asked a few questions including the different coated options on their 2.2 Hex70XL. They told me it's a pretty heavy duty fabric but said if I went with it, go for the breathable DWR coated one. So, what are your thoughts? I have kids I'm wanting to go up to the hills with and don't want to worry about getting small rips or tears on the exterior (or interior...), but am I overdoing things? I'd like mine to be a trial run and maybe make one for each of the kids later on.

I appreciate any insights you experienced guys have with quilts.

Jeremy

I made a summer backpack out of the 2.2 pu coated. Definitely way too heavy for making a quilt. I would suggest using breathable fabrics for a quilt.

I've got a quilt with 2 layers of 3oz primaloft and 30d uncalendared nylon for both sides. Tough enough that my Boston hasn't dug a hole in it yet doing that damn digging at the blankets thing she does getting her bed ready each nite. Id say ive seen her dig at at leasr 10 times already.

1.0oz hyper-d with some of there 1.9oz whatever floats your boat top should be plenty tough unless your kids are the kind that could break an anvil in a padded room. Some kids are master destroyers.

Good luck and post up some pics when you're done.

Tim M

Lil-Rokslider
I made a new sleeping bag earlier this year out of robic and can't recommend it enough. It doesn't feel clammy against the skin, breaths very well but drapes and has a very soft hand (finish).

OP
G

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks very much for the information. Maybe I'll do the 1.0 Hyper D inside with the Robic outside? Tim, did you go for the 1.0 or the 1.7 Robic? I'd asked someone there about that material and I got a reply saying it might not be the best for an exterior because it was so breathable...but the product description lists it as good for synthetic quilts... I'm glad to hear you like it, sounds like it may be a great option that's good and tough.

Jeremy

Ghillie_55

Lil-Rokslider
Gudspelr - take a look at the build of what I used for my quilt. All material is from RSBTR. http://www.rokslide.com/forums/diy-gear-modifications/60513-diy-quilt-blanket-woobie.html

I use the 2.2 HexD for stuff sacks, it is alot heavier than the 1.9 I used for my exterior. The 2.2 is coated, so I'm sure that adds some to it. I am more than happy with the durability and feel of the 1.6 inner and 1.9 outer.

I do believe I asked the guys at RSBTR about the difference in feel between the 1.1 and 1.6 and I'm pretty sure he said the 1.6 does have a softer feel to it. I talked to them via instant messenger quiet a bit to help pick out materials.

I know your pain trying to pick out materials for this. I spent hours going back and forth with weights and colors and price. I'm more than happy with the route I went. Another nice thing with the 1.6 over the 1.1 is the stiffness of the fabric in the machine with all of the layers. I think trying to sew all the fabric and insulation together with thin 1.1 would be tough.

OP
G

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, Ghillie-your thread was great to go through. I appreciate your thoughts on the different materials. And you must be just like me-I've been doing the same as you said, looking at all the different options and trying to research the "best" choices for what I want.... I'll pull the trigger here at some point :).

Jeremy

Tim M

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks very much for the information. Maybe I'll do the 1.0 Hyper D inside with the Robic outside? Tim, did you go for the 1.0 or the 1.7 Robic? I'd asked someone there about that material and I got a reply saying it might not be the best for an exterior because it was so breathable...but the product description lists it as good for synthetic quilts... I'm glad to hear you like it, sounds like it may be a great option that's good and tough.

Jeremy
I ran the Robic 1.0 xl on the inside and the outside of my new sleeping bag and love it. I have had it on several trips this winter already and it has worked perfectly... pm me if you have any questions about working with it.

Last edited:
I made a woobie recently using the hyper D on the inside. It is super soft and comfortable against the skin. I can't recall what I used for the exterior but know it was one of the Breathable DWR coated fabrics from RTBR. It turned out very well, but there is a noticeable difference in feel between the two fabrics.

metal3006

FNG
i just finished a woobie style blanket using 3.6 apex and hyperD on both sides. i used calandered on the outside for a little more wind resistence. i cant make any claims as far as durabilty, as ive not used it outdoors yet, but the hand feel of the hyperD is great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

OP
G

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks to everyone giving their experience and suggestions-it's been a huge help. I'm thinking I'll go with Hyper D for the inside, 5.0 Apex insulation, and the 1.0 Robic XL with DWR for the outside. Now I need to come up with how I want to do the foot end. I've been thinking I'd sew in a foot box, but then I see guys talking about Velcro, snaps, zippers, draw cords....having a tough time deciding. Oh well-at least I think I've got materials figured out :).

Jeremy

NHBacon

FNG
I've made two recently, last week. One was with the 3.6 and the other 5 oz climashield. Both were made using the 1oz Hyper D. I love the stuff. Little tricky to get used to but after you hit the learning curve all systems are go.

OP
G

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks bacon-I have some hyper d in the cart, just need to pull the trigger.

Jeremy

OP
G

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
I got a box in the mail today :). I finally put together my order that included 3 quilt kits from RSBTR. I spent a while going through all the stuff I ordered and just wanted to add to this thread about the 1.0 HyperD material. I picked that (uncalendared) for the inside of the quilt and I'm starting to be really happy that I did. Someone had said it was very soft/felt good against the skin. I completely agree-it reminds me of a satiny (is that a word...?) feel. I ordered the Robic XL for the outside and it seems like it should work just fine. It is definitely not as soft, but I wanted something a bit tougher for the exterior, especially with kids and whatever they end up doing...

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks to those who gave input and let others know about the materials I ended up going with. Now I just need to finalize the design and dimensions. I thought I was all set on not sewing in a footbox, but I think I've decided to sew it in now. I have to also decide on the total length-I hear people really regret having a quilt too short. I'll probably err on the side of too long, but don't want to be ridiculous and go the full 9'. I'm 6'3"-any good suggestions out there? Figure whatever I do mine at, I'll also sew the kids' quilts the same length. They can grow into them and/or someone else can borrow it and not hate that it's super short.

Jeremy

For a ground sleeping quilt, I'd go a full 12 inches longer on the quilt pieces than my height. By the time the sewing is done, you are going to loose a full inch on the total length. The tapering in the foot box will see you lose another 2 inches of length. Draping will see the remaining length fit perfect to allow for easy sleep. It's really an easy project.

OP
G

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info-I think I may shoot for 14"-16" over my height...ish. The seam allowances and foot box had come to mind, but I didn't really think about draping before. But that makes sense it would eat up some length. I feel like I have the process down pretty well in my head on the sewing-I think you're right about it being pretty straight forward. Just want to be sure I don't make a cut and regret it...

Jeremy