3D printed phone holder for spotting scope

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
I recently finished up another 3D printed spotting scope/phone adapter. I made it in two pieces and bonded them together with plastic JB weld. The tabs/slots are to ensure alignment. I made one for a different phone last year and it was a PITA using super glue and trying to line up the edges. I did modify the model so all I have to do is type in the dimensions, convert the file and print. I make these so they slide over the cover and are held in place by friction. It's simple, strong and weighs almost nothing. Fun stuff.

SpottingScopeAdapter2-5.JPG

SpottingScopeAdapter2-1.jpg

SpottingScopeAdapter2-2.jpg

SpottingScopeAdapter2-3.jpg

SpottingScopeAdapter2-4.jpg

gjviii

Lil-Rokslider
That looks great, Think about throwing the file up on Thingiverse? I'd love to print one for an iphone6 plus to use on a swarovski or vortex scope.

OP
Y

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
That Calculus book was the heaviest around. Used it as a weight when I glued the pieces together. Sure brings back memories though. I did get an A in Calc 1...the third time I tried!

I'll look into putting it on Thingiverse and put a link to it here.

That Calculus book was the heaviest around. Used it as a weight when I glued the pieces together. Sure brings back memories though. I did get an A in Calc 1...the third time I tried!

I'll look into putting it on Thingiverse and put a link to it here.

Sounds like me in organic chemistry. I started backpack cardio in college running from class to class with those books.

sdfuller

Lil-Rokslider
Nice! I made my my own as well so that I can leave my case on all the time. I'm assuming that it's a friction fit to hold the phone in there? I might steal some ideas for my next version... :D

OP
Y

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
Yes it's a friction fit so making the cover size on size works well. Just don't forget to make a relief cut for buttons though.

OP
Y

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
Here's a reference in case anyone is interested in the data values. The x and y coordinates don't quite match what you see in the configuration box because I have a built in formula to account for the material wall thickness of the phone holder.
View attachment 50275

OP
Y

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't have any alignment problems. Just measured a dozen times before making it.

I'd be cautious about posting anything on Thingiverse. Looks like someone downloaded all of the models and is selling them on ebay.

gjviii

Lil-Rokslider
YZF, that's pretty slick. Did you have any issues aligning the camera lens with the center of the scope? I designed one myself and found a printer on 3dhubs to print it. Printed in two separate pieces so I could align and glue the pieces together myself. I posted the file on Thingiverse, here's a link:

iPhone 6/7 Phone Scope Adapter - Vortex Razor Spotting Scope by smoothie25 - Thingiverse

i just printed yours and it came out nice. if you want another one, i'll print you out one as a thank you for sharing
thanks for the design

Last edited:

smoothie25

Lil-Rokslider
Gjviii, glad to hear it worked out for you.

I'll take you up on that offer. PM sent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gjviii

Lil-Rokslider
i'll print it up tomorrow when i get home and get it in the mail wednesday. i'll let you know when it ships
thanks