Nomad modification

Took a long hard look at my Nomad and decided to make a few improvements. Added tab loops on the wings and slots for running the straps under the wings if needed. Granted, I'm a fireman and not a seamstress so my work is far from perfect. But I feel it's gonna be solid for anything I plan on doing with it. Slots work for both my Hunting and Bikini frames.
fabc12b662b8a5392bf2917362046304.jpg
eac88a7deb002f22bc9422a867e43db6.jpg
46d80ce319ab52b73404a663aee6c88b.jpg
3497eac68312141fd705a2b8999cf4c1.jpg
aa522f3aab90319ef9278ad40090c6d0.jpg
3de6a9105091f2e6b6062ea590f4a67a.jpg

OP
mrbillbrown
Thanks fellas. Appreciate the kind words. Definitely not hard to do. After the first cut and stitch it goes fairly quickly. I have little to no skill with my sewing Walmart special machine. Just stubborn and refuse to think there's something I can't do. :)

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
Could you tell me how you made the slots? I have thought about doing something similar, just not sure quite what to do. A link would suffice if you do not want to explain. Looks like good work to me!

OP
mrbillbrown
Could you tell me how you made the slots? I have thought about doing something similar, just not sure quite what to do. A link would suffice if you do not want to explain. Looks like good work to me!

First I figured out where I wanted my slots to occur. I have a new style Hunting frame and a Bikini frame (both 26" tall) and wanted to make sure the slots would work for both. Also wanted the slots big enough to allow pass thru of the strap and buckles. Placed Nomad on both frames and marked a general cut out area with a pencil. Then I placed the machine presser foot up against the natural edge of the bag where the wings were sewn to the back piece. I used this natural edge as a boundary to help guide the presser foot along. I made two passes of single line stitching then made two passes of Zig Zag stitching to "lock" the singer line passes into place. After the long lines were done I would spin the machine and do 3 passes of short ends to create the ending point of the long slot. Just wanted to make sure the ends of the long slot wouldn't blow out and continue to rip away. Once my 3 sided "box" was finished I took out my trusty Havalon knife and made a cut in the center of the long box running almost to the each of the ends. Again, leaving a little space so that it wouldn't risk tearing thru my "end caps". To keep edges of the new slot from fraying I used a torch style lighter to melt the edges of the slot. I would kind of fold the slot open creating a small "mouth" and apply heat. Then fold the wing over and do the same thing on the other side of the slot. Finished slot seems sturdy enough that I'm not gonna worry about fraying or tearing loose under any type of stress I put on it.

Wish I'd had the nuts to do this a while ago. Definite improvement to the Nomad and much less expensive than buying a new model.

WoodBow

WKR
These are the exact thoughts I had as soon as I saw the new one. I will likely be executing something similar. Thanks for sharing.

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
First I figured out where I wanted my slots to occur. I have a new style Hunting frame and a Bikini frame (both 26" tall) and wanted to make sure the slots would work for both. Also wanted the slots big enough to allow pass thru of the strap and buckles. Placed Nomad on both frames and marked a general cut out area with a pencil. Then I placed the machine presser foot up against the natural edge of the bag where the wings were sewn to the back piece. I used this natural edge as a boundary to help guide the presser foot along. I made two passes of single line stitching then made two passes of Zig Zag stitching to "lock" the singer line passes into place. After the long lines were done I would spin the machine and do 3 passes of short ends to create the ending point of the long slot. Just wanted to make sure the ends of the long slot wouldn't blow out and continue to rip away. Once my 3 sided "box" was finished I took out my trusty Havalon knife and made a cut in the center of the long box running almost to the each of the ends. Again, leaving a little space so that it wouldn't risk tearing thru my "end caps". To keep edges of the new slot from fraying I used a torch style lighter to melt the edges of the slot. I would kind of fold the slot open creating a small "mouth" and apply heat. Then fold the wing over and do the same thing on the other side of the slot. Finished slot seems sturdy enough that I'm not gonna worry about fraying or tearing loose under any type of stress I put on it.

Wish I'd had the nuts to do this a while ago. Definite improvement to the Nomad and much less expensive than buying a new model.

Thanks! That was a good explanation. I will have to modify how you did it slightly for my end goal, but it sure makes it seem a lot more achievable. It is a bit scary thinking of cutting into a bag that expensive lol.

reaper

WKR
Took a long hard look at my Nomad and decided to make a few improvements. Added tab loops on the wings and slots for running the straps under the wings if needed. Granted, I'm a fireman and not a seamstress so my work is far from perfect. But I feel it's gonna be solid for anything I plan on doing with it. Slots work for both my Hunting and Bikini frames.
fabc12b662b8a5392bf2917362046304.jpg
eac88a7deb002f22bc9422a867e43db6.jpg
46d80ce319ab52b73404a663aee6c88b.jpg
3497eac68312141fd705a2b8999cf4c1.jpg
aa522f3aab90319ef9278ad40090c6d0.jpg
3de6a9105091f2e6b6062ea590f4a67a.jpg

I think i am gonna do the same if i put my hands on a Ranger green nomad.You Added tab loops on the wings,i can see you did a wonderful job here,did you on-do the stiches on the nomad to sew your new tab loops?

OP
mrbillbrown
Yes, I figured out where I wanted to add the tab loops then used a seam ripper to open a hole big enough to push my tab loops through. Then turned the pocket inside out and sewed the tab loop into place along the same line where I had ripped it apart. I'll post a couple of pics of the inside of the tab loop area when I get home tomorrow.

Haven't seen a Nomad 2 in person but from the pics on the website I do believe my tabs loops and buckles allow a closer fitting area between the wings. I made the tab loops only as big as I needed to get open ended male and female buckles to attach. They're also just big enough to get a k-clip in there if i wanted to run a lashing strap to hold the wings together. Since the Nomad 2
uses a buckle and strap to close the wings it adds length to the closing size vs my smaller area for just the male and female buckles.

It does flop around a little bit when it's not stuffed full or if it doesn't have anything behind the wings. It really needs something between the wings or they need to be stuffed full to avoid a sloppy fit.