DIY shelter design

ROJO23

FNG
I am considering sewing a floor less shelter for Midwest hunting. I have considered both a pyramid and a typical A-frame style tent design with vestibules at both ends. What do most people find to be more comfortable? This will be for 2-3 men for 5-7 days. Typically archery or early season ( before November).

WoodBow

WKR
I would/did do a tipi. Plenty of room. I don't like feeling cramped, especially if stuck inside during extended rain. My total weight w pole and stakes is 7 pounds.

WKR
You can't put a price on being able to stand up while you put your pants on.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

If you are going to sew it yourself I would go with a tipi like they mentioned above. Simple design, easy to sew and easy to set up. Just one pole in the middle unless you suspend it from a tree branch. You can also increase your usable space by adding walls to the end of the tipi walls that will drop down vertically like on a wall tent.

WKR
I think a pyramid is easier to build, personally. The beauty of a tipi is that it looks simple but there is alot going on there. A pyramid is more forgiving and the angles make sense.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
Well if you aren't packing it on your back ...then weight is no factor....so you can do canvas or Sil.

Is wind going to be a factor?

IMO, Its hard to beat the wall tent designs for comfort.

OP
R

ROJO23

FNG
yeah I was thinking the height would be a good thing, and with the pyramid design would be easier to sew up. I am looking for a light weight set up to pack in, so canvas is out of the question. Thanks for the input.

I really like my mid shelters, they're quick and easy to pitch (and pitch off the ground for better air flow/less condensation), offer a lot of useable space, can stand up in them (if it's one of the larger sizes), light weight, and most importantly, they shed wind extremely well. Also, like what's already been mentioned, they're easier to make than a tipi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk