My Recent Projects

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
With a lot of help from people on this site, I tackled making my own stuff to be able to go backpack hunting with the kids. I sold a canvas pyramid tent I had to help fund all the materials I wanted to get. I ordered everything from Ripstop By the Roll and started with 3 quilts. I ordered 5.0 oz Apex Climashield (rated for 30F), used 1.0oz HyperD for the inside, and 1.0oz Robic XL for the outer shell. I had a stuff sack laying around from I don't know what and inside of that, it weighs in right at 2 lbs. I plan to make some dry bags for each of them that will help compress them a bit further. The finished size is 7'6.5" long, about 26.5" wide at the bottomd of the sewn footbox, and 57.5" wide at the top.

Last edited:
OP
G

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
Adventures in Sewing

I also wanted a tarp for a back up shelter, one to take out with me hunting and hide under for weather rolling through, etc. I got the 1.1 silpoly 2nds (nice and cheap) and got it stitched down the center, joining the two 10' pieces. It's around 9'6" wide and 10' long (before I roll the seam all the way around. I used some of the Robix I had left over to put in as reinforcements for the stake out/guy out points, as well as some spots to put trekking poles or sticks for different pitches. After the "glue" on the reinforcements dry, I'll stitch them all down, roll the edges, then stitch on the grosgrain loops. I'm glad I decided on doing the tarp-the seam is the kind I'll be doing for the pyramid tent I'll be doing last.

Thanks to all who have helped answer questions in other threads and who have posted their projects. This has definitely been a fun way to get a number of pieces of gear I wouldn't otherwise be able to afford.

Jeremy

Last edited:
OP
G

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
The tarp is done (mostly...). I finished up by gluing on the reinforcement patches, stitched them on, then rolled the edge all the way around. I cut the grosgrain for all the loops and got them sewed on. I went and set it up in the back yard to seam seal and got that all accomplished. Unfortunately, I realized I up and forgot to sew in some small loops on the inside of the tarp to hang stuff if I want.... So, I'll probably do that at some point down the road and then seal those stitch points.... Looking forward to using it and trying out some different pitches.

Go ahead and ignore the dirt left from working on it in the garage :).

ETA- I got the tarp taken down from seam sealing and it's 14 oz, 9'5" by 9'10".

Jeremy

Last edited:
OP
G

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, guys. I think the tarp will be great for its intended purpose and it was a fun project. It should hopefully make riding out some weather while away from camp a lot more tolerable. I think I'm going to take the tarp this summer and try some different pitches. I'd recommend the silpoly-it was pretty reasonable to work with it, but it is definitely slippery stuff... For the first stitch, I decided to pin the two pieces together. I pinned close to the edge, so I wasn't concerned about there being a problem with extra holes since I was doing two more stitches on the seam and would be sealing it later. And the pins definitely helped keep the pieces together.

Jeremy