DIY Tut XL

OP
530Chukar

530Chukar

WKR
So awesome! Where did you come up with the measurements for this? I would love to do something like this. Fantastic job. Where did you source your materials from? Thanks again for posting!

Thank you. Size was easy. I drew it up in sketch up based on the width of the XL fabric (selvage removed.) I borrowed the pitch angle based off kifarus Tut footprint and height to come up with around a 55 degree pitch angle. Sketch up put the height around 8 ft to maintain roughly a 55 degree angle and I took the dimensions straight from there. I cut the panels into ten foot lengths and then cut them diagonally.

Silpoly, #8 zipper, were from Ripstop by the roll.

2mm paracord, linloc 3s and stove jack from Bear Paw Wilderness Designs.

500D cordura from eBay.

TNT outdoor stakes and Tent Tools adjustable tarp pole from Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bganz

FNG
Thanks again, 530Chukar. I'm going to try to get my hands on a sewing machine, make a few pullout bags then try to tackle this project. Did you use a fancy sewing machine or will most do the job?

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
Not to answer for him, but so far, a regular sewing machine has worked great for me. I've used a straight stitch and zig-zag. I made some pull outs, 3 quilts, and a tarp. The tent is next on the list. It really is something that most anyone can do if they take the time. Just plan well-it sucks ripping seams apart.... ;).

Jeremy

bganz

FNG
Not to answer for him, but so far, a regular sewing machine has worked great for me. I've used a straight stitch and zig-zag. I made some pull outs, 3 quilts, and a tarp. The tent is next on the list. It really is something that most anyone can do if they take the time. Just plan well-it sucks ripping seams apart.... ;).

Jeremy

Cool thanks Jeremy! I'm trying to do all of this on as small of a budget as I can so I've been trying to find a used machine on a buy and sell, but have zero clue what will work and what to avoid haha.

OP
530Chukar

530Chukar

WKR
Cool thanks Jeremy! I'm trying to do all of this on as small of a budget as I can so I've been trying to find a used machine on a buy and sell, but have zero clue what will work and what to avoid haha.

You don't need anything fancy. I used a $40 Kenmore machine that is close to 20 years old. It is a travel model so it is very small and way undersized for a project like this but I still made it work. The more you can spend on a machine the better. It would be very helpful having a machine with a long arm so that you can work the fabric through easier.
Cody

Flydaho

Lil-Rokslider
bganz, I started on the cheapest machine out there, a brother LS 2125 and it did just fine. All you will need is a straight stitch, and maybe a zig-zag. When you are fist starting out, you probably won't notice a big difference between a cheap machine and a quality machine. That being said, I ended up getting a nice Elna SU off of craigslist and I could really tell the difference in the quality of the stitch with the Elna. Pick up whatever is cheapest to get a start and watch your local buy-sell pages for a sweet deal.

I did a quick search on craigslist and this machine popped up near you:

sewing machine Pfaff - arts & crafts - by owner

Pfaff machines are about as good as they get, and this seems to be in really nice shape. If you can swing it, this is a great price as i'm seeing them on ebay for $400.

OP
530Chukar

530Chukar

WKR
How do you guys stop the zipper slider from coming off the zipper, specifically at the bottom of the panel?

Here is a photo of how I did mine. Not the cleanest but it is holding up well. Just a small piece of grossgrain.
58d47da41af96ab9669dd7b64c87f968.jpg

Ok, I just finished building this exact shelter but its time to decide on the stove placement. I was thinking I could put the stove towards one of the back corners and still have room to comfortably sleep 3-4 guys. My though here is that I could possible get away with a shorter stove pipe? If I run the stove in the center its going to need at least a 10 ft pipe. Can I run a pipe that is shorter than the peak or am I just asking for lots of spark holes?

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok, I just finished building this exact shelter but its time to decide on the stove placement. I was thinking I could put the stove towards one of the back corners and still have room to comfortably sleep 3-4 guys. My though here is that I could possible get away with a shorter stove pipe? If I run the stove in the center its going to need at least a 10 ft pipe. Can I run a pipe that is shorter than the peak or am I just asking for lots of spark holes?
You're asking for burn holes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
530Chukar

530Chukar

WKR

I'd agree you're chancing too many burns. I placed the stove jack as high as possible on the same panel as the doors. I was nervous about removing 14" of the seam to install the jack but after some extra stitching before I cut it out it has held up very well. I considered different locations for the stove but the stove would be right next to someone and would cook them. I have a liteoutdoors with 10ft pipe on order now. 10ft seemed like it was going to be sufficient.

WoodBow

WKR
Rockywoods.com also sells zipper stops that you just clamp onto the coil where you want it to stop. They are very inexpensive.

Flydaho

Lil-Rokslider
Zipper stops are what you want. They allow the zipper to come together completely and prevent it from opening itself when the two sides are pulled apart. I got mine from a local cobbler for $0.30 a piece. Make sure to get the correct size for your zipper, and ask the cobbler/shop owner how to put them on. It's pretty easy, and fairly common sense, but it doesn't hurt to ask the professional. There are two types of stops on zippers, a "top-stop" and a "bottom-stop". The top stops are what you want, these are the ones at the end of each side of the separated zipper. The bottom-stop is what permanently holds both sides together at the other end of the zipper.

NV HUNTER

WKR
Sorry ..i dug up an old one!! what are everyones thoughts on making this shelter out of 1.9 ripstop?