GI Duffel Mod

ericwh

WKR
I have one of these two-strap GI Duffels that are roughly 90 liters and apparently made of 1000d.

I am thinking of modifying it to
  1. Convert to roll top closure
  2. Add drawstring water bottle pockets in usual location
  3. Relocate existing grab handle to normal backpack location
  4. Add PALS for side/rear pocket mounting
  5. Add compression strap guide loops
  6. Add rear/bottom compression straps for stowing sleeping pad
  7. Add Mounting points for Kifaru frame

It would basically be a slightly heavy roll-top Argali with side water bottle pockets and the side PALS moved up vertically. Thoughts are, I already have this bag and it would be easier to modify it than make a whole new bag. And cheaper than buying a bag...

Anyone have any thoughts on this idea or suggestions?

41bXudRnh0L.jpg

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Start from scratch so you can put the stuff where it needs to go in seams or atleast working on a flat panel before putting the bottom on. Adding lots of stuff onto a tube is a pain and will never be as clean as if you planned in out in the first place. Hardly seems worth not buying 1-2yds of material with the list of modifications you want to make.

OP
ericwh

ericwh

WKR
Thanks, thats something I was wondering about

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

How about adding a full length zipper also? Would help with the other additions by "opening up" the tall tube.

CDNPO

FNG
I don't know the specs, but if you are set on using the pack, you could always rip all the seams and use the existing material to then stitch up a bag to your design. It's only saves your buying a few yds of material, but might be a fun project that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk