My DIY projects

Squirrels

WKR
Gonna start a thread with my projects. Only because I've gotten great ideas from others posting.

First up is my pocket to attach to the snow collar of my Reckoning. On the inside there is a zipperd pocket on one side and a 4" tall piece of elastic on the other. Hindsight I would ditch the elastic for a second zippered pouch.

130e184398b9817d4f16bdabb35b480e.jpg

5f9d030bfac030c36afa655855776513.jpg

466bbe0a6d8aa3b86b771bb7c01d1474.jpg

5e23d4e38b8fdef3da9b4a2d932054c4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Squirrels

Squirrels

WKR
Good job.

Getting that perimeter just right to avoid any bunching isn't as straight forward as you'd think is it?

It isn't indeed!! I had no idea how to go about sewing it up so I kind of worked it out in my brain and it turned out better than I figured it would. This may not be the clearest explanation but I sewed the zipper to halves to their respective sides and then sewed them to the front and back panel while they were zipped together. I started in the middle at the top and let the tag end run till I hit the bottom of the pouch.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It isn't indeed!! I had no idea how to go about sewing it up so I kind of worked it out in my brain and it turned out better than I figured it would. This may not be the clearest explanation but I sewed the zipper to halves to their respective sides and then sewed them to the front and back panel while they were zipped together. I started in the middle at the top and let the tag end run till I hit the bottom of the pouch.

Yeah same here, hitting the total length of the side section just right since its a fixed length perimeter affect by the seam allowances the individual sewer uses took me a couple practice attempts. :p

davehc130

FNG
how the heck do you sew the inside pockets with the zippers? I would love to make a few of these for my Tahr Pack!!!!

OP
Squirrels

Squirrels

WKR
You just make an interior panel with the zipper and lay it on top of the inside face of the top/bottom panel before sewing on the side panel perimeter.

That's how I did it.

Hey Squirrels , the little three bar rings you have used on your pouch, do they attach by just slipping through PALS webbing? or do you use a strap to secure it?

I think I saw pics of these looped into PALS webbing, but not sure how secure it is with a bit of weight on it. It looks like it could be a good simple attachment method, for something I have in mind. but I have no experience of it

OP
Squirrels

Squirrels

WKR
Hey Squirrels , the little three bar rings you have used on your pouch, do they attach by just slipping through PALS webbing? or do you use a strap to secure it?

I think I saw pics of these looped into PALS webbing, but not sure how secure it is with a bit of weight on it. It looks like it could be a good simple attachment method, for something I have in mind. but I have no experience of it

They just slide through the pals webbing. They are attached to whatever accessory with 3/4" grosgrain. They are a solid attachment method.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You are looking for "ITW 1" Oval Slide". Cheapest source in bulk is hudson4supplies out of Canada but shipping isn't cheap, hence needs to be in bulk to offset it. Milspec monkey has some at a premium. I have some supply of black and coyote also depending on how many you needed.

OP
Squirrels

Squirrels

WKR
Piggy back on pods source, kifaru uses tan hardware. I ordered coyote buckles from Hudson and they are much darker than my kifaru buckles.

Last edited:
OP
Squirrels

Squirrels

WKR
Another of my projects since this thread was intended to be my diy build thread.

My floorless shelter, measure 9'6" plus from open end to open end and 12' wide. Cost me about $60 total. Parts of it are not the prettiest and I learned a lot from this one. If I did another it would look a bit more professional but it is functional and I have no doubt it will hold up well. Best I remember when I weighed it after everything was on done (including guy lines) it was either 21oz or 24oz. Can't remember for sure but I will check and get back when I get it out again.
a2fd450c5bf2cc8e4c66cda4f082f7b3.jpg

13c12e589588f78e3f19352f0bd6258f.jpg

Thanks guys.

Squirrel, the tarp looks good mate.
I made a hammock fly from Sil-argon from make your gear, it's something like 0.7 oz per yard. Super light, and super easy to set up, and pack up. it's stood up to some decent storms. It's my favourite bit of gear.

OP
Squirrels

Squirrels

WKR
Another one...
So I returned the Reckoning to save some money and got a great deal on a Markhor in the classifieds. Think I will just make some modifications to get what I want. Eventually I will just make my own bag.
Anyway, I decided to make a couple lids for it. Below is the first, the second one I will post when done.
02cf64d3a10e80bdfee178c86ac2a1aa.jpg

b6a383bc93b4f698ff7f42d84cfc9444.jpg

2a66668cbb4dd4a7b3905ce35e6daa8b.jpg

d718c757ddcfdf467e731e4b9231e6ef.jpg