materials for DIY bivy bag?

ozyclint

WKR
thinking of making myself a bivy to go with my CZ slick bag. will be used under tarps.

thinking of getting materials from rockywoods but unsure of what to get in terms of material weights and deniers. i have a TiGoat bivy and want the light weight material it has.

thinking silnylon for the bottom but unsure on the top material. i want it to be really breathable but offer some minor splash protection. also what size zip? i want to keep weight to a minimum.

cheers, clint

Brendan

WKR
Can't help with fabrics, but here's my experience. I personally don't like the full bivy sacks - I get a ton of condensation and wake up really damp. I switched from a TiGoat Ptarmigan (full coverage) to a TiGoat Bug Bivy which is much better. My usage is the same as yours - pad, bag or quilt inside a bivy under my tarp.

I also like the look of the recon from a design perspective - might be a good blend between the two:

https://enlightenedequipment.com/recon

GKPrice

Banned
anything synthetic won't breathe, condensation will result - even 100% cotton marine canvas doesn't breathe completely but is nicer to live with - I make mine from as lightweight as possible 100% cotton with marine treatment, anything 10oz or lighter will work well, the lighter weight below 10 the better - #10 YKK zipper (nylon), if you're DIY make the zipper longer, you'll like it better

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord