Time for a new kifaru homespun packbag.

reaper

WKR
That looks fantastic. Makes me want to make one for myself. Each kifaru pack has something I like, but there isn't one pack that has them all. The new fulcrum is close, but it's way too big for me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Yeah i can't find a bag who rules them all...i think ill run a dry bag+cargo net+Native with pouches.

Nice work on that bag,also make me wanna make a DIY bag again but not sure if i got the time and patience hahaha,maybe will ask Pod to do it,some king of a camp bag with webbings on the front like the Reckoning with a hypalon sleeve and 2x 3 bar sliders on the back. thats it,simple.

Envoyé de mon E6560C en utilisant Tapatalk

How many yards of material did you use for this project and where did you get your hardware from? Thanks

OP
Rockchuck

Rockchuck

WKR
Most all ingredients came from ebay. The cordura didnt though. Stumbled across a remnant sale randomly while google surfing last year and picked up 27 yards for 50 bucks to my door. I didnt measure exactly how much i used for this pack but it was around 2-3 yards maybe??

reaper

WKR
Did you double the fabric for the ''hypalon'' sleeve? On my DIY bag i used some kind of leather(the one from pickup truck who cover the loading box)and it was the ONLY thing i wasn't sure about the project and it failed me one time around the holes where the stays,now its ok i fixed the problem but on my next DIY bag it will be hypalon or ill just double the fabric...i am looking for hypalon fabric but its really pricey??

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did you double the fabric for the ''hypalon'' sleeve? On my DIY bag i used some kind of leather(the one from pickup truck who cover the loading box)and it was the ONLY thing i wasn't sure about the project and it failed me one time around the holes where the stays,now its ok i fixed the problem but on my next DIY bag it will be hypalon or ill just double the fabric...i am looking for hypalon fabric but its really pricey??
Reaper I have some I'll send you a piece pm me your shipping and size requirement.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
Rockchuck

Rockchuck

WKR
I did double the fabric on the sleeve. Also at the bottom as well. My previous pack needed reinforcing after the single layer started to seperate a few years in. I havent wanted to spring for hypalon yet. Pricey, but i will probably get some eventually for future projects.

reaper

WKR
I did double the fabric on the sleeve. Also at the bottom as well. My previous pack needed reinforcing after the single layer started to seperate a few years in. I havent wanted to spring for hypalon yet. Pricey, but i will probably get some eventually for future projects.

You cut the holes(sleeve) and you sewed around them for reinforced?

OP
Rockchuck

Rockchuck

WKR
Sorry, i should have taken more pictures along the way showing this. You have to think inside out on this. I cut the notches for the load lifters out of the fabric on two identical pieces of material pinned together inside out. then sewed across the top edge including around the notches and down the sides. Then I removed the pins and flipped it inside out and used a pencil (anything longish and skinny would work) to make sure the edges and corners around the notches were pushed out flat. I had my upper and lower back panel already cut to size (the lower already had been cut and had the water bladder hose port sewn in ahead of this). I lined up the top edge of the lower panel with the upper edge of the sleeve and flipped the upper panel overso the inside of the bottom edgewas aligned to the same place but left a 1 inch overhang. Then i sewed thru the three sections and reinforced it well by sewing a few lines thru the area. Removed my pins then folded the extra inch over hang down past the new seam behind the sleeve on the inside of the lower panel and sewed that with a few lines of stitching across the width of the panel. Doing so, bound in the main seam and the sleeve flap itself hides my stitching below the seam on the finished product. I finished of the sleeve by sewing the bottom edge closed with grosgrain. Then further down the line in the project, I pinned it in place over the frame and added the side panels and triple reinforced the sewing where they joined together and created a nice snug fit for the pocket. Kinda long winded but hope that made sense...

Last edited:
I just ordered a bunch of Cordura samples from Rockywoods. I'm hoping to make my "one bag to rule them all".

Is there any way you could take pictures of the insides of the bag? Did you use a special stitch or just straight stitching? I know my Eberlestock bag as a lot more grosgrain on the outside. I'm assuming to cover up some exposed edges that couldn't be hidden inside the bag?

Thanks

OP
Rockchuck

Rockchuck

WKR
I still need to bind up the seams inside with grosgrain. I think I am going to buy a wider size to do it as i have some spots with several layers that need to get bound up. Been too busy shooting my bow lately to get the grosgrain ordered up and get back in front of the machine. When I do, I will post up picks for sure. I used mostly all straight stitch with a lityle zig zag here and there mostly to experiment though.

How tall is your main bag, including the snow collar/foldover lid?

Thanks

OP
Rockchuck

Rockchuck

WKR
main bag is 26 inches but not sure on the height of the overload. It is stuffed in the trailer right now, but I will post up the measurement when I dig it out. If I had to estimate right now it is probably 12-14 inches more or so...

Thanks a lot. I've checked with a couple more bags and it seems 38" or there abouts, is the standard.