Sourcing a long tipi pole...

Hey all, I'm about to start work on a large tipi, Kifaru/SO style. My initial plans call for a pole about 11' long. Neither company lists a pole that long for their accessories for purchase on the websites, and the DIY instinct in me would rather find a cheaper, yet hopefully similar quality pole to buy or build. Questions are:
-What material? Carbon sounds nice, but expensive? Aluminum comes in both low and high grade, what diameter/type would work well for a long pole? I've found a source for 7075 3/4" tent pole material...
-What sources have you all used? Experiences that I can learn from?
-Anyone own a large tipi from the above manufacturers that can give me a clue on pole material, size?

I was thinking of using a full flat felled stitch to connect the panels. Sound about right?

Any other helpful lessons would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Matt

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey all, I'm about to start work on a large tipi, Kifaru/SO style. My initial plans call for a pole about 11' long. Neither company lists a pole that long for their accessories for purchase on the websites, and the DIY instinct in me would rather find a cheaper, yet hopefully similar quality pole to buy or build. Questions are:
-What material? Carbon sounds nice, but expensive? Aluminum comes in both low and high grade, what diameter/type would work well for a long pole? I've found a source for 7075 3/4" tent pole material...
-What sources have you all used? Experiences that I can learn from?
-Anyone own a large tipi from the above manufacturers that can give me a clue on pole material, size?

I was thinking of using a full flat felled stitch to connect the panels. Sound about right?

Any other helpful lessons would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Matt
I have a 3/4 Easton pole at 7' or so, but I don't think it's going to be strong enough for another 4' of height.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Blue aluminum concrete screed poles at Menards work great. Two of them strategically cut can get you a 3 piece pole.

OP
M
I found som 6061 T6 aluminum tubing of 1.5" and 1.375" that nest together. Combined 13' of it comes to 57oz or so. After cutting down a bit and adding tubing clips, I think it'll come down a bit still, and will hopefully be strong enough.