Horn Hunter Mod

novcie870

WKR
Well, its not easy being on this forum and having a family! My dream would be to own a high end pack, but finances and family commitments doesn't allow for that right now...and that's fine. So, with the help of some folks on Rokslide, I have been making cheap improvements to my horn hunter full curl. I started with cutting off some excess weight. The two internal pull out pocket on the bat wings and the handle on top of the pack both got cut. Then I switched out the belt for a new duplex from Kifaru (hhhhuuuggggeee improvement in comfort!). I added the insulated nalgene pocket from the army surplus store and picked up a nice belt pouch also. Both use the pals system and are money. Lastly I attached my range finder pouch to the shoulder strap. The last thing I need to do is get a sherpa strike plate to attach my Glock to the hip belt (in the mail) and I will be done. I am really happy with the end product. It will be run here in the Idaho mountains all fall, including a week long elk hunt and lots of weekend trips. Now...to get some blood on it...

OP
novcie870

novcie870

WKR
Thanks so much Mr. Bill. I sure appreciate all your help and encouragement!!

Looks good! I loved my HH Full Curl, great pack especially for the price- super solid. Packed a full Muley buck one trip no problem. Unfortunately it got stolen last fall and I bit the bullet and replaced with a MR Metcalf. Looking forward to testing it out this fall.

I think the thing that separates Kifaru from most others is the belt. It looks like you got that covered with the swap. HH is made in the good ole USA as well. So, it's not junk. They been getting it done for a lot of people, for a long time. I bet that pack serves you a long time by your own choosing. I just got one question. Why the bladder and the bottle pocket? Good luck and God Bless

efnm

WKR
Can you take a picture of how you did the belt? I'm interested in that mod since my hip bones start rubbing and getting pinched after a few miles with the stock belt. I also see that you have the previous model of pack that isn't torso adjustable.

Thanks, Eph

OP
novcie870

novcie870

WKR
I think the thing that separates Kifaru from most others is the belt. It looks like you got that covered with the swap. HH is made in the good ole USA as well. So, it's not junk. They been getting it done for a lot of people, for a long time. I bet that pack serves you a long time by your own choosing. I just got one question. Why the bladder and the bottle pocket? Good luck and God Bless

I use my nalgene bottle for my electrolyte mix. I only put water in the bladder so it doesnt get sticky in there. Thanks!

OP
novcie870

novcie870

WKR
Can you take a picture of how you did the belt? I'm interested in that mod since my hip bones start rubbing and getting pinched after a few miles with the stock belt. I also see that you have the previous model of pack that isn't torso adjustable.

Thanks, Eph

It is the previous model, but it fits me great. I will post some pics on how I did the belt, but honestly its like the kifaru duplex was made for the HH frame. It just slides in the existing black small pockets on the belt. The pack just velcros up snuggly to the belt and frame. There is a thread on here (Rokslide) somewhere where several people posted pics of how they did it. I am telling you though, do it! Its money with the kifaru belt!