Marsupial Gear Bino Harness Buckle Mod

Got my marsupial gear bino harness in the mail a couple days ago and got it set up. The biggest complaint I had seen was the use of big autolock buckles on the front of the pack connecting the harness straps to the bino bag itself.

photo 1.jpg

When I put it on they annoyed me slightly and I figured I could fix it up real quick. Justin in his video review had mentioned that ladderlocks might be a good replacement for those buckles. My Kifaru had six ladderlocks that haven’t been used yet, so I carefully cut them off with a wire cutter to become a homemade “split bar ladderlock” (if you’re not sure what that is just google image search). I then went over to the bino harness. I detached the male end of the autolock buckle which isn’t sewn into anything, then carefully cut the female end of the buckle off the bino harness in a way that makes it a “split bar buckle,” that way it’s reusable.

photo 2.jpg

I then put the split end of the split bar ladderlock onto the pack where the female buckle had been, then fed the strap from the harness into the ladderlock to finish it up. Only took about 45 minutes and I was done. And I’m not mister handy either, anybody could do it.

photo 3.jpgphoto 4.jpg

The bino harness definitely has less bulk and actually the weight reduction is noticeable. All you need to do it is a couple ladderlocks or split ladderlocks preferably, and a pair of wire cutters. Very happy with my modification, and because I kept the buckles as split bar buckles I can reuse them for this bino harness or anything else I might need it for.

Last edited:
Thank you. I've been looking at this pack but also did not like the buckles. I will be doing this mod when mine comes in. I may even do one side of the waist strap since I will only unbuckle one side to get in and out.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ definitely the right hardware, but shipping is a killer on that site; I just ordered some from Supply Captain

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great idea just finished changing mine over
c2443da662e6bb854fd7a5832c893c28.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Just got mine in. Hadn't noticed the buckles being an issue yet. Have worn it a few times shooting and training. Will definitely keep this mod in mind.

jherald

WKR
I've got an Alaskan Guide Creations I've done the exact same thing with. Seems to make an all around more comfortable rig.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
sorry I've got the foliage ones not coyote; but they are a perfect match

c90e2f1f6ef035791692962671805dba.jpg

I followed the advice above. I already had the ladder locks but in a different color. Being color blind the mismatch doesn’t bother me. I also got rid of the plastic zipper pull and went to just 550 cord on the front zipper pocket. The only other thing I didn’t like was the plastic piece that connects the black bino straps to the harness and not having any adjustability in the little straps. I made some bino startups out of 550cord that now gives me about 4 inches of adjustment if needed and gets rid of the plastic piece.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did the same thing on my agc harness so I could get it to ride higher. you can get a 10 pack of those itw split bars on ebay for cheap.

wildcat33

WKR
This is a great mod. My only complaint with this pack has been the use of ridiculously large buckles. Im going to order some locks and do it up.

Looking into doing this, but having a hard time finding the split bar ladderlocs in foliage.. Supply chain is sold out, and all I can find on ebay is tan.

Anyone have 2 or 3 they'd be willing to sell me?

Looking into doing this, but having a hard time finding the split bar ladderlocs in foliage.. Supply chain is sold out, and all I can find on ebay is tan.

Anyone have 2 or 3 they'd be willing to sell me?

I'm in the same situation, but I'm looking for coyote brown.

Looks like a website called Hudson4Supplies may have a few in foliage. It shows "In stock / limited stock".

I'm in the same situation, but I'm looking for coyote brown.

Looks like a website called Hudson4Supplies may have a few in foliage. It shows "In stock / limited stock".

I saw the coyote brown ones on ebay for like $6 and free shipping for a 10 pack when I was searching this morning. Sucks to buy a 10 pack if you only need 2 though.

I saw the foliage ones on Hudson's website, but was hoping to find somewhere with a little cheaper shipping, but may end up biting the bullet and ordering from them if I have to.