Ripstop BTR has 30D XL silnylon now

bowhunter15

Lil-Rokslider
I already bought a bunch of the 20D Silpoly XL to build a tipi with. Well, I got an email saying that they now have "1.1oz MTN Silnylon 6.6 XL". It's $12.50/yard. Spec sheet screenshot below. I wish I had waited before buying the Silpoly. Seems like a pretty robust option.
346acca5c783d9c27aa0b9c5c2cd54ab.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
I'm pretty happy with the 1.6oz hyper D they sell for my tipi. I really can't imagine going lighter than that for my use as I don't want something too fragile on hunts...maybe backpack trips its OK. Everyone draws the line differently between utility and fragility.....I like the 1.6 for shelters...a couple extra pounds on a big shelter be damned!

EDIT; after looking over the descriptio of that 1.1oz MTN....that RBTR has their stuff together...that fabric looks killer. Seems to be designed from the gorund up; 3000 head with ripstop. When cutting regular sil...and then cut the ripstop slowly....you can feel the advantage that extra fiber adds. Looks like great stuff...though pricey.

Last edited:
OP
B

bowhunter15

Lil-Rokslider
I'm pretty happy with the 1.6oz hyper D they sell for my tipi. I really can't imagine going lighter than that for my use as I don't want something too fragile on hunts...maybe backpack trips its OK. Everyone draws the line differently between utility and fragility.....I like the 1.6 for shelters...a couple extra pounds on a big shelter be damned!

EDIT; after looking over the descriptio of that 1.1oz MTN....that RBTR has their stuff together...that fabric looks killer. Seems to be designed from the gorund up; 3000 head with ripstop. When cutting regular sil...and then cut the ripstop slowly....you can feel the advantage that extra fiber adds. Looks like great stuff...though pricey.
Yea, I remember contacting them a while back asking for the best choice for a "bombproof" shelter and listing examples on the market. I imagine they had enough requests from guys like us that they decided to make a fabric specifically for that purpose.

OP
B

bowhunter15

Lil-Rokslider
I checked to see if I could exchange my Silpoly but was outside of the return window. I guess I'll make the Silpoly one and if I still want the MTN silnylon I could sell the completed Silpoly tipi.

Beendare

WKR
Considering the work involved....you might want to reconsider. I have about 22 hours of just sewing in mine...done with the tipi part.....but adding walls and windows so its talking more time. You might only want to do this once....

OP
B

bowhunter15

Lil-Rokslider
Considering the work involved....you might want to reconsider. I have about 22 hours of just sewing in mine...done with the tipi part.....but adding walls and windows so its talking more time. You might only want to do this once....
Are you doing a 4 side or 8 side?

Beendare

WKR
How did your projects turn out? Looks like an interesting fabric...

Yeah, I would like to see some feedback on that Mtn silnylon too. On my big tipi [13' dia, 8'6" tall] it works out to be about 10 oz lighter using this lighter fabric....wasn't worth it for durability to me. EDIT; to clarify, I used the heavier 1.6oz silpoly pu 4000 [which is about 1.9 oz actual] rated 40D
My tipi...first pitch
first pitch.jpg

This [below] is my old [sold] SL-5 which was very light but the fabric was rated 15 denier as I recall. I don't think its durable enough for hunts and rips too easy- YMMV. That 30' long tenacious tape patch was when my dog decided to stand on the outside and the rip ran like a zipper right up the wall. The 1.6 oz silpoly RSBTR sells also has a gridlock fiber that helps protect again these rips....you can feel it when cutting.

The 30 denier Mtn stuff is as light as I would go....and should be fine for hunting applications.

Tent rip.jpg

Last edited:

jmden

WKR
That stuff is tough. I've been using it, and a 30d silnylon of equal or better specs before it, for my TipiTents, for several years. Even regular 1.1 oz silnylon in general is really amazingly tough stuff. I'm still not convinced on the silpoly for these big shelters and chose to stay with the silnylon for now...just me. YMMV. Am using 1.9oz 70d for floors and transitioning to the 1.6oz (1.9oz with PU4000 coating) HyperD for floors. Inner walls will soon be the .66oz MEMBRANE 10. Tough stuff and breathable (will work well with the massive adjustable ventilation WildSide TipiTents have) and have a DWR and it's very lightweight. Some great fabrics RBTR is bringing to the market...

Beendare

WKR
That stuff is tough. I've been using it, and a 30d silnylon of equal or better specs before it, for my TipiTents, for several years. Even regular 1.1 oz silnylon in general is really amazingly tough stuff. I'm still not convinced on the silpoly for these big shelters and chose to stay with the silnylon for now...just me. YMMV. .....

Well you obviously have a lot of experience with silnylon....I'm curious as to your reasons?

BTW, nice stuff on your website with a lot of optional items- HERE
4+ Man TipiTent™ - WildSide Systems

I like the way you did your top vent- slick

jmden

WKR
Well you obviously have a lot of experience with silnylon....I'm curious as to your reasons?

BTW, nice stuff on your website with a lot of optional items- HERE
4+ Man TipiTent™ - WildSide Systems

I like the way you did your top vent- slick

Thanks!

The wind force on the larger tipis can be enormous (think sails) with larger panels, while the seam strength stays the same. Tipis are great at shedding wind, but I want to do all I can to not have a failure. Nylon 6,6 (the nylon yarn used in this MTN silnylon) is, especially, quite a bit stronger than poly (there is more strength degredation of nylon than poly in sun, so keep it out of the sun when possible). Poly just rips way easier. There's definitely pros and cons--silnylon grows/contracts in cold/warm weather whereas poly doesn't do that nearly as much. That 'stretch' though, may be one reason nylon doesn't tear as easily, etc. I've just come back down on the side of tried and true silnylon at this point. Weight is about the same. (RBTR does have some .93 oz silpoly and it's great stuff, I'm just not saving enough weight with it per shelter to risk it's inherent weakness compared to 30d 1.1 oz silnylon (about 1.35oz after silicone coating). I can cut a notch in the edge of this silnylon, and grasp either side of the rip and try to make it grow and can't by hand. Same thing with poly and it just rips. Perhaps not a scientific test, but...

jmden

WKR
Any feedback on 30d silnylon vs 1.6Hyper D for strength, tear resistance?

RBTR recommends the 1.6 HyperD PU4000 for floors and I would too. I have in mind for my shelters that folks will walk around in them a little bit, though that should be avoided as much as possible, and I want a tough floor. I'm currenlty using 1.9oz 70d with a tough .75oz PU coating, but will be transitioning to the 1.6oz HyperD PU4000. The 1.6 HyperD PU4000 comes out to about 1.9oz / yd when the PU4000 coating is on there. So that, vs. 1.35 oz (with silicone coating) for the 1.1 oz silnylon. That 1.1 oz silnylon is in a floor of a TarpTent Rainbow I've done early season hunts out of for a number of years and I've treated it very carefully and it hasn't let me down yet, but I still prefer a bit beafier floor for when you aren't making camp in a soft mountain meadow (when does that happen anyway?).

jmden

WKR
Even though 1.6 Hyper D PU 4000 is 40d as I recall, it tears easier than the MTN 1.1 oz silnylon in my unscientific tests, fyi. But I believe it will be more abrasion resistant.