DIY quilt help

lif

WKR
I am going full steam ahead at making a quilt. Thinking 20 degree extra wide extra long. All help from sewing machine suggestions to material sources to tutorial videos would be helpful. Thanks

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
Assuming synthetic, not down? If so, I can at least give you my experiences. I made 3 earlier this spring out of Apex Climashield. I sourced all of my materials from Ripstop by the Roll. I used 1.0 oz HyperD for the inside and am very happy with it-it's got a really nice, soft feel to it. For the exterior, you can use all kinds of stuff. If I remember right, I think I used the Robic XL for a bit tougher outer shell.

As for how to do it, this was my "system":
-Put the two pieces of material together and lay them on the floor-hold them together with some binder clips so they don't slide around.
-Roll the Apex insulation out on top and cut to length (and trim any edges as needed).
-I tried two different options to aid in sewing-masking tape and tissue paper. If you put something over the insulation, the sewing machine presser foot will ride easily over it vs the insulation getting caught up on it. Here was the pain in the neck...removing the tape or tissue paper after sewing... Ultomately, I found the tape the easiest way for me, but only after I stuck it down on the living room carpet, walking on it, then pulling it up and then onto the edge of the insulation, all the way around three sides of the perimeter (leaving one "end" without tape).
-Once the tape is all down, I used binder clips to hold all three layers together.
-Material side down, I stitched along the three edges, ensuring I got into the Apex.
-Now, carefully take off the tape, being careful not to pull the stitching out. The tape will come loose from the insulation easier if you stuck it good to the carpet beforehand.
-Now, turn the quilt right side out through the 4th side that you haven't stitched yet.
-Sew your "ugly" seam closed now and you have your basic quilt/blanket.

Now you can stop there, add some grosgrain to cover the last, exposed seam, sew a foot box, etc. Part of your process will be dictated by the design you want. The width will also be determined by the material you get unless you want to stitch a few pieces together to get a wider quilt. I decided to sew in a foot box along with some grosgrain loops on the edges. I wanted to be able to put my sleeping pad inside the foot and use some shock cord to hold the edges of my quilt under the edges of the pad so there wouldn't be drafts. To sew in the loops, I just placed them along the edges where I wanted them, between the two pieces of material. Then, when I stitched the edges, the loops were secured and exposed when I turned it right side out.

Hope that makes sense. I did a thread with some pics, but photobucket went and held my pics hostage and they don't show up anymore on threads.... Good luck with the project. Once you get going, it's pretty straightforward.

Jeremy

OP
L

lif

WKR
Thanks for that. Any opinion on machines?

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
I have two machines, a newer Bernina (I think it's a relatively basic model) and an old Good Houskeeper made around the 1950's. I like the old machine-has a bit deeper "throat" (?), the space between the right side of the machine and the presser foot, and it's all kinds of heavy duty. Plus, I just like older stuff :). Honestly, if you can find a machine in good shape that does a straight and zig-zag stitch, you're pretty well set. I started with the quilt kits because I figured they'd be the easiest, then moved to a silpoly tarp, now I'm working on a silpoly pyramid tent. Thought it would be good to work up to the harder projects and so far, it's gone well.

Jeremy

ozyclint

WKR
i just made a woobie knock off, though not quite as long or wide. material was .9oz membrane15 poly taffeta on both the top and bottom. 3.6oz apex climashield insulation. sourced from ripstopbytheroll. very happy with it.

OP
L

lif

WKR
Does anyone know how much compression is lost in a synthetic instead of a down quilt? Or any other downsides between the two insulations?

In a 20 degree quilt, the down will compress about 25-30% smaller. Warmer quilts less. As you get colder from there, down starts to pull away in compression and weight from the Apex.

I used the DIY guide on DIYgear.com for my quilts