Giving kudos where it's definitely due.

Hey guys, I just wanted to say wow. I pride myself on being able to do just about anything I set my mind to. I've tiled bathroom walls and showers, hung drywall, poured concrete, built a 2 car garage by myself (dad and brother help set the trusses), and even built a 12,000lb gvw dump trailer from scratch, rewired my home electrical box from 100 amp to 200 amp service. But for the life of me, this sewing is by far the most complicated thing ever. Did I mention that I'm a control room operator at a coal fired power plant? Operating hundreds of millions of dollars worth of equipment to produce electricity. Don't get me started on the properties of saturated and unsaturated steam.

I'm trying to sew together a backpack to be my very own. One that combines the frame of a kifaru, the bag of a Kuiu (sorta) and the scabbard of an Eberlestock. And with some pointers from Pods and an offer of help from Squirrels, I figured tonight I'd start doing a little sewing. It is just mesmerizing the amount of thought that goes into one of these packs. Sewing, this before that. And this has to be sewn inside out and then turned right side in to be complete. I mean wow. I've already thrown my hat twice and unsewed, more than I've sewed. I'm already tempted to just put all my parts, pieces and sketches in a box and ship them to Pods or Squirrels with a couple hundreds and say "fix this".

Sorry for such a long winded thread but just wanted to give some praise to the guys that do this a lot, and are really good at it. Sewing is definitely an art.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

5shot

Lil-Rokslider
You'll get it. Does take some planning ahead of time, but once it's done you'll be able to tackle anything.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Squirrels

WKR
It can be frustrating, don't think I haven't busted as many seams as I've stitched. That comes with the territory when working without patterns making custom stuff. You got my number. Be glad to help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I watched my mom hem my pants , even that looks complicated

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
Lol :). Your post gave me a chuckle... But only because I can identify with your frustrations. I'm fairly handy myself, but there are definitely things that stretch you and sewing can certainly be one of them. I haven't made a pack, but have looked at some of the projects on here and wondered if I couldn't come up with something for myself. I too have ripped many seams and it's frustrating. I'm part way through a pyramid tent and I don't think it has nearly the challenges a pack would for all of the planning ahead. Making sure all the steps are in the right order is certainly a mental exercise. Keep at it-I look forward to seeing the final product.

Jeremy

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It certainly can be a puzzle but just take it step by step. Everyone has to bust seams from time to time when doing one off stuff since all the steps aren't going to be detailed out one by one, its inevitable. When stuff starts going really south, take a breather. ;)

boom

WKR
remind me to never show you a button i had to re-sew back on..if anyone can make a ball of thread look like a booger..that would be me.

Quality sew'ers are the most talented, patient people I know. Good equipment is a must. But, the skills, foresight, and patience must be honed in order to see the difference. It's what separates pods, squirrel, live to hunt, etc... from the rest of us. God Bless

Squirrels

WKR
Quality sew'ers are the most talented, patient people I know. Good equipment is a must. But, the skills, foresight, and patience must be honed in order to see the difference. It's what separates pods, squirrel, live to hunt, etc... from the rest of us. God Bless

I appreciate the kind word but pods is way more talented/experienced than I.