Diy Meat Shelf

I have a Mountainsmith Apex 105 liter pack. Good solid pack capable of 70-80lb loads. I'd like to use this to haul meat, but it is currently not equipped with any kind of meat shelf. I know I SHOULD buy a pack dedicated for this purpose, but I'd like to use what I've got until I decide if I'm going to take more backcountry hunts. Does anyone have any experience building/creating a meat shelf in a non-hunting pack? Thanks!

Beendare

WKR
Yeah, I've been packing meat on my back for over 35 years....my take;

You don't want one of those low on the frame meat shelves. Its backpacking 101 that you want the heavy stuff in the center of your back...not too low...which is what happens with some packs as the meat slides down and balls up in the bottom. You don't want it too high either as it makes the load unstable...and its not like we are packing these buggers all on fire roads.

I have a McHale pack...and Dan made what is best described as an adjustable load sling inside the pack bag. It keeps the boned out meat from sliding down in my pack and holds it tight right in the sweet spot. I suppose the sweet spot would vary from man to man...but you get the gist. I think you are better off sewing up a webbing sling than a shelf...probably lighter too.

I'm pretty good about posting pics but this is a tough one to get a good photo of inside my packbag.

OP
Huntingpreacher
Thanks fellas. So would you say I don't need to worry about a hanging meat bag or something of the sort, as long as I have the meat higher in the pack?

Tag_Soup

WKR
Thanks fellas. So would you say I don't need to worry about a hanging meat bag or something of the sort, as long as I have the meat higher in the pack?

That's exactly correct. If you want to haul only meat, just compress the lower section of the pack and you should be good to go. This is how I hauled anything we couldn't get horses to for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tag_Soup

WKR
No problem. Meat shelves are nice if you have the right meat bag setup. Basically want the meat tall and flat across the frame. I like keeping the interior contents of the bag relatively blood free. But for just throwing bomb bags in and going, I still prefer main compartment carry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk