MYOG: Stalking Sandals.... yup.

Upcountry

Lil-Rokslider
Hahahah... These are probably the silliest thing I've made in recent years...
I'm a weight-weenie, and was trying to decide on what I wanted out of a camp shoe that could double as some foot protection for stalking in close on my upcoming backcountry archery hunt(first one!!!). I can never justify the bulk of packing the Crocs, and knew they wouldn't fill the void for a stalking shoe. The idea of just slipping on another sock didn't sound that ideal either... So, I got to work...
I pulled the leather insole out of some shoes I bought for wet-wading/floating. Then fitted some elastic straps, and ran the elastic all the way under the insole for a bit of extra cushion on the ball and heel of my foot. Then sewed some felt to the bottom for noise dampening and a bit of traction. They look ridiculous, but I think they'll be perfect for around camp, when crawling out of the tent for the middle of the night bathroom break, and for the potential final 100 yards of a stalk. They weigh in at under 4 oz, so really not much penalty over the additional thick wool socks that many opt for.

36390804071_a294799d51_b.jpg

35719248203_d0013076ac_b.jpg

35719248593_7d0fbb2acd_b.jpg

rexahayes

Lil-Rokslider
Hahahah... These are probably the silliest thing I've made in recent years...
I'm a weight-weenie, and was trying to decide on what I wanted out of a camp shoe that could double as some foot protection for stalking in close on my upcoming backcountry archery hunt(first one!!!). I can never justify the bulk of packing the Crocs, and knew they wouldn't fill the void for a stalking shoe. The idea of just slipping on another sock didn't sound that ideal either... So, I got to work...
I pulled the leather insole out of some shoes I bought for wet-wading/floating. Then fitted some elastic straps, and ran the elastic all the way under the insole for a bit of extra cushion on the ball and heel of my foot. Then sewed some felt to the bottom for noise dampening and a bit of traction. They look ridiculous, but I think they'll be perfect for around camp, when crawling out of the tent for the middle of the night bathroom break, and for the potential final 100 yards of a stalk. They weigh in at under 4 oz, so really not much penalty over the additional thick wool socks that many opt for.

36390804071_a294799d51_b.jpg

35719248203_d0013076ac_b.jpg

35719248593_7d0fbb2acd_b.jpg
if they work they work! where did you get the elastic and felt?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
U

Upcountry

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a few boxes of materials I've accumulated over the years. Most of it is from RockyWoods and OWFinc... Of course I had to make sure the sandals matched the pack... couldn't use black elastic... LOL

Btaylor

WKR
Need a tie dyed bag to sell those in to the hippie hikers and a camo bag for the hunters. Of course the ones in the camo bag sell for 25% more. 😎