Post Thanks / Like

MYOG: Stalking Sandals.... yup.

Hahahah... These are probably the silliest thing I've made in recent years...
    I'm a weight-weenie, and was trying to decide on what I wanted out of a camp shoe that could double as some foot protection for stalking in close on my upcoming backcountry archery hunt(first one!!!). I can never justify the bulk of packing the Crocs, and knew they wouldn't fill the void for a stalking shoe. The idea of just slipping on another sock didn't sound that ideal either... So, I got to work...
    I pulled the leather insole out of some shoes I bought for wet-wading/floating. Then fitted some elastic straps, and ran the elastic all the way under the insole for a bit of extra cushion on the ball and heel of my foot. Then sewed some felt to the bottom for noise dampening and a bit of traction. They look ridiculous, but I think they'll be perfect for around camp, when crawling out of the tent for the middle of the night bathroom break, and for the potential final 100 yards of a stalk. They weigh in at under 4 oz, so really not much penalty over the additional thick wool socks that many opt for.

2. Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Haha. Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JReeves View Post
    Hahahah... These are probably the silliest thing I've made in recent years...
    I'm a weight-weenie, and was trying to decide on what I wanted out of a camp shoe that could double as some foot protection for stalking in close on my upcoming backcountry archery hunt(first one!!!). I can never justify the bulk of packing the Crocs, and knew they wouldn't fill the void for a stalking shoe. The idea of just slipping on another sock didn't sound that ideal either... So, I got to work...
    I pulled the leather insole out of some shoes I bought for wet-wading/floating. Then fitted some elastic straps, and ran the elastic all the way under the insole for a bit of extra cushion on the ball and heel of my foot. Then sewed some felt to the bottom for noise dampening and a bit of traction. They look ridiculous, but I think they'll be perfect for around camp, when crawling out of the tent for the middle of the night bathroom break, and for the potential final 100 yards of a stalk. They weigh in at under 4 oz, so really not much penalty over the additional thick wool socks that many opt for.

if they work they work! where did you get the elastic and felt?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got a few boxes of materials I've accumulated over the years. Most of it is from RockyWoods and OWFinc... Of course I had to make sure the sandals matched the pack... couldn't use black elastic... LOL

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice

Post Thanks / Like
    Need a tie dyed bag to sell those in to the hippie hikers and a camo bag for the hunters. Of course the ones in the camo bag sell for 25% more. 😎

Post Thanks / Like
    I really like them. You did well.