sewing tarps

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
How big are you talking? I made a tarp sewing together two "widths" of silpoly...but that only ended up being a bit under 10'x10'.

Jeremy

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
How big are you talking? I made a tarp sewing together two "widths" of silpoly...but that only ended up being a bit under 10'x10'.

Jeremy

Hey Jeremy,

Can you post some photos of this. I've been thinking about doing a sheep tarp style tarp but thinking about making it larger to give me more flexibility in pitches.

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
I actually had a thread with pics of the tarp and some quilts I made, but photobucket screwed it all up. Since then, I’ve struggled with imgur and my apple devices to figure out how to best get pics thrown into threads...

Don’t know if a description will help, but here’s what I did. I ordered some 1.1 silpoly seconds from Ripstop by the Roll and figured I wanted it about 10’ long. I cut two pieces to length, then put the pieces side by side. I stitched the two edges together, using the full width and after finishing the center seam, I glued on reinforcing patches everywhere I wanted to add stake down/guy out points. Once those were dry, I stitched the edges of them all, double rolled and stitched the perimeter of the tarp, added the grosgrain for stake down/guy outs, pitched it and seam sealed.

If you wanted a larger tent in width, you can do one of a couple things. Either add a third piece of whatever width you want, then you’ll have two seams going along the length of it. Or, you can get some of the XL size fabric which can leave you about 11’6” or so after seam allowance for the width. Then you can make it whatever length you’d like. Mine, with about 9’ of cord off the four corners in a stuff sack weighs right at 16 oz. and it packs really small. I think I figured it cost me about $30 or so to make.

Jeremy