Tarp help

So made this mega style taro a few years ago. Only used it a few times and can not get the pitch figured out. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Jake Leibke
c1199b7141f4762844107bd4078b4a32.jpg

I guess the pic didn't add in the first post.

From what I can see, you are setting it up in the wrong sequence for your design. Your pole height appears too high or, the bottom isn't pulled out far enough. Something isn't right is all I got and, can give from the limited pics. I'd start again on setup by pulling the bottom side tie outs tight and staking, insert hiking sticks at the appropriate heights to pull it tight and form the ridge line, and that is what you are going to have for width. Pull out the guy outs of the ends and stake them. Don't over tighten the side wall guy outs either.

FWIW, your design looks a lit off spec wise. Meaning in order to get the tarp tight, you have the wrong lengths and such for the ends. It's really hard to get a tarp tight when pitching it like a tent, when you are dealing with improper dimensions. Good luck and God Bless

Last edited:

ckossuth

Lil-Rokslider
I can't see the rest of it but from the picture you posted it looks like your tie outs are too high. About 20" up from the bottom edge is about perfect for that shelter (provided your build dimensions are similar to most mega style shelters). Your tie outs are pulling more down than out. I can't tell for sure but you may also be trying to pitch it too wide which causes the corners of the shelter to have a concave appearance. Remember that since the tarp is closed on one end, the combination of the two angles on the back determines how wide you have to pitch the tarp. Pitch it too wide and the top angle will be floppy and loose. Pitch it too narrow and the bottom sides of the back will not even make it to the ground. There's not much room for error on this with this type of shelter. Hope some of this helps. Good luck!

OP
Jake Leibke
45581710d2296e863d86b2c3614352de.jpg

This tells me you might be trying to pitch it too wide.

I think my guy outs are up to high which is likely causing part of the problem. You think I need to pitch in higher in center and not so wide?