Meat Sack Size(s)?

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
I have some breathable ripstop nylon that I want to use to make some meat sacks for deer. I was hoping some of you have specific thoughts/suggestions on the dimensions for said sacks? How tall and wide do you like them to be? I certainly don't want them too small...but I don't need huge sacks that are too big, either. I have a Kuiu 7200 backpack that I plan to use to pack out the deer; I figure I'll do draw string type closures at the top to cinch things up. Thanks for any help.

Jeremy

Akicita

WKR
I bone out my meat and like cylindrical shaped bags made out of bed linens. About 36" long by 14" in diameter for Deer and 42" long by 20" in diameter for Elk. After stuffing them I use electrical tape wrapped around the bag at about 8 to 12 inch intervals to help keep the cylindrical shape which makes it ride more upright and balanced in my pack rather than slumped into a big ball in the bottom.

I rough cut my bags 30 by 30, double stitch and with the draw string channel sewed in, they finish out roughly 28.5 by 14.5. These are bone out, external frame bags and one will usually hold a whole deer.

The only thing I'll give as suggestion is, when you sew them up, it's going to be tempting to sew a square bottom. However, doing so allows the bag to loose shape when fully stuffed. It really settles to a ball in a square bottomed stuff sack versus a bag with a flat bottom. Of course, if using for inside the bag, look into a tubular design. God Bless

OP
G

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info, just trying to get an idea of what works for guys in the field. I plan to carry it strapped to the frame, with the pack sandwiched up against it (the Kuiu pack can pull away from the carbon fiber frame and you sandwich the meat between the two). I can definitely see it so it's not just a square "pillow case" type bottom.

Jeremy

I've tapered the bottom of my bag.
I did this with the ultra frame. With a typical bag the existing straps on the frame allowed meat to "poop" out the sides and resulted in a unbalanced load.
The SG load cell seems like it would be a good pattern to copy as well.