Bike trailer for hunting/fishing

Bughalli

WKR
DIY Bike trailer for hunting/fishing

I always wanted to try a bike trailer to access the backcountry for hunting and fishing. There's definitely some fire roads that are closed during the hunting season where riding a bike and using a trailer would really save a lot of time and energy. Plus, they might even work on other trails that might not be a full fire road, but wide enough for a bike & trailer.

So I started watching the free section of Craigslist and found a bike trailer that was meant to hold kids. I took it apart and rebuilt it up using much of the same hardware. I put in a wood floor and tie-downs. Added cross supports using existing brackets. Cut the height down to be lower and capped the ends. The final product came out great. I bet it cost me $20 in materials.

This can easily hold 50lbs and most likely much more. Fire roads, even with an incline are easy riding. I've learned that good tires and disk brakes are needed for downhills if you have a lot of weight in it. I have yet to carry a elk quarter out, but look forward to giving it a try. I expect this will make getting game out of the backcountry....well, not enjoyable but less painful. The beauty of this is that it fully collapses down for storage as well. As I improve my sewing skills I might make nylon mesh sides to it, just to keep things more secure and minimize the chance of a strap or something reaching the tire. It was fun project. Pictures below give you an idea of pre/post, although these are two different models (found another one for free and use it for kids).

IMG_6890.jpgIMG_6889.jpg

Last edited:

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
That looks awesome. I've wondered about the same thing, myself. Bet it would make life a lot easier for hauling gear further back/critters out. Thanks for posting it up.

Jeremy

OP
B

Bughalli

WKR
Gudspelr.....I see you're from Idaho. That's where I really got the idea and motivation. More than once I would scout and have access to certain areas via roads. Then I get there during the season and they closed the gates in late Sept. It sucked walking a couple miles on roads just to get to an area where you start hunting. That walk made it that much harder to get back there before sunrise. A bike would have been awesome!

GKPrice

Banned
FYI .... there MUCH mixed emotions re: bicycles in the back country and especially hunting NOT gonna get embroiled in another controversial topic but I'll say that you won't "feel" much love from a horse packer or hunter (recreational rider for that matter) when you come around a corner on them by surprise (for anyone who wants to snort the "horses tear up the trails, shit on the trails and cause problems please remember that if it were not for horses, mules and the cowboys who use them there would likely be no trails, or a lot fewer of them)

Dinger

WKR
I have a hunt coming up in late October (Sth hemisphere spring) that I was planning to use bikes for and thought a kids cart would be a good option for haulage.

Thanks for posting this up.

The area is open to non-motorised traffic only at this time of year....it opens back up to motorised vehicles in the summer.

Beendare

WKR
Good idea. I still have one of those Burleys left over from the kids.

I think the cordura on the sides protecting the inside of the wheels might be a good idea to keep....

jb79

WKR
We've used bikes and trailers quite a bit in Oregon and they are great! Never on trails just closed logging roads, really allows you to get way in and not completely wear yourself out. You'll be surprised at how much they will haul....
083154955020799a969d48b9daf226b8.jpg
a44f6f3cc511c41657a79fab6a629dff.jpg

We road this bull out in one trip 7 miles behind a locked gate, that's all 4 quarters and cape!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk