Leaky Boot fix

Beendare

WKR
Edit; I got two more years out of these Soloman boots with this solution keeping them waterproof. its head and shoulders above any other solution.

Gore Tex boots....I get about 1 to maybe 2 seasons out of them and they leak. I talked to the Cabelas boot buyer about it....and he says thats about right for the mesh panel boots...the GT liner breaks down with long hard use.

I used to sno seal, silicone spray, etc, etc... many different products that only ended up giving me a short term solution. While I was seam sealing my tent it struck me; a flexible waterproof barrier.
boot seal.jpg

I like the boots so instead of buying a new pair I seam sealed them. I thinned 100% silicone with some mineral spirits to a thin watery consistency- about like olive oil. The mix soaks into the leather, cordura fabric and seams....... those boots performed perfectly now.

Edit; i'm being asked a lot about consistency. IMO, what you want is the consistency of vegetable oil so it soaks in and forms a very thin film. . If its too thick ...... it will flake crack or break off. I just coat the fabric or leather with it penetrating into it.

Breathability? Well I've always head that term tossed around re boots and chuckled..... when hard hiking my feet sweat in any boot....'breathable liner' or not. I've never seen a liner that can keep water out but lets your feet "Breath" on those hard hikes.

The best solution I've found is a good merino sock....and take a few minutes to air your feet out during the day

Last edited:

duchntr

WKR
That'll do, should stay externally waterproof for a while. My experience is the same with GT lined synthetic boots and leather for that matter. I do however feel some folks have unrealistic expectations from their boots, we all want forever waterproof and breathable boot but IMO the term waterproof/breathable is just a marketing term used for the one or 2 time user.

woodmoose

Lil-Rokslider
That'll do, should stay externally waterproof for a while. My experience is the same with GT lined synthetic boots and leather for that matter. I do however feel some folks have unrealistic expectations from their boots, we all want forever waterproof and breathable boot but IMO the term waterproof/breathable is just a marketing term used for the one or 2 time user.

concur 100%,,,,same with rain gear,,,,,real rain gear,,,,,

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Update;

Spent 9 days in and out of snow and constant wet with these being the only boots I wore- FYI, this seam seal works great and brings new life to old GT lined boots.

Stid2677

WKR
I long ago figured out my boots were either going to leak or take water over the tops. I always pack a pair of Rocky brand Goretex socks,, when my boots get wet I slip the Rocky's over my hiking socks and continue. After the end of the day I remove and air them out each night. Once I walk my boots dry I take my Rocky's off.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
I long ago figured out my boots were either going to leak or take water over the tops. I always pack a pair of Rocky brand Goretex socks,, when my boots get wet I slip the Rocky's over my hiking socks and continue. After the end of the day I remove and air them out each night. Once I walk my boots dry I take my Rocky's off.

To each his own.....but I never understood the GT socks. You still have sopping wet boots. I can stand in 3" of creek with these and totally dry. My Soloman GTX boots with this light seam sealer coating on the bottom 2/3rds stay dry excepting a little built up sweat....which happens anyway- sealer or not.....and its is easily solved by taking your boots off for a few minutes a day.

cooperjd

WKR
BD did you apply the mix to your entire boot or just along each seam? if seams only....do you use other product on the larger leather surfaces?

amp713

WKR
Maybe I should do this to my solomans I'm sick of leaks but they would be great boots otherwise

The only thing I would be concerned with is with boots with a rubber rand (Kenetrek, etc). The mineral spirits might cause the rand to delaminate.

Last edited:
Great idea. Not sure why I didn't think of this lol. I have a pair of boot i'd like to get one more season out of but they are leaking a little. I am going to try this! Thanks

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
I applied sealer to the mesh and in all of the litlle nooks and crannies especially eyelets and seams [with laces off]. I also applied to the leather accents but not the rubber portion- no reason to do that. I did seal where the mesh meets the rand and didn't see any weakness there.I suppose you could soak them for days in this solution it might be able to weaken the glue though my guess is the rand is different MEC solvent based glue.

I did the whole tongue but on the sides and back only just above the ankle....why? No particular reason except in extreme wet I usually wear gaiters. I did have gaiters on in ak and though pushing wet soggy brush all day it never soaked through.

I dunno if this is the perfect solution for all....but it saved me from buying a new pair of boots and breaking them in. I'm guessing it will work better for the mesh type boots, YMMV.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
OK, I knew this was going to happen...not here but another forum; some boot rep clown PM's says this is 'Irresponsible' as it wrecks the breathability of the boot. Build these things to last more than a year and then come back and talk to me.....Jeez.

I can tell you from wearing these in warm and cold hiking for hours in these- they MAY be less breathable....but I didn't notice a difference...my feet sweat in the new GT boots anyway...and not noticeably more.

The noticeable thing with the sealer is your feet STAY DRY........when you step in a swampy spot [or hours of swampy stuff] you don't instantly feel the cold water seeping in.

OK, I knew this was going to happen...not here but another forum; some boot rep clown PM's says this is 'Irresponsible' as it wrecks the breathability of the boot. Build these things to last more than a year and then come back and talk to me.....Jeez.

I can tell you from wearing these in warm and cold hiking for hours in these- they MAY be less breathable....but I didn't notice a difference...my feet sweat in the new GT boots anyway...and not noticeably more.

The noticeable thing with the sealer is your feet STAY DRY........when you step in a swampy spot [or hours of swampy stuff] you don't instantly feel the cold water seeping in.

Wow. Shame on you. And your innovation...

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Just thinking....I dunno how this will work if you had previously applied something like the wax based sno seal or something like that. I can see where the wax might inhibit how well this works. I know its best to brush them well to get all of the dirt off first, clean is better.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Who cares about breathability when your boots suck water like a sponge.

Bob, I'm surprised Alaska hasn't jumped on the bandwagon outlawing these 'sponge' boots like they did felt soles....before I sealed these I swear there were Quagga mussels between my toes.....grin

I just did this to my boots last night. I'll report back how it works. Can't see why it wouldn't tho!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk