Guidelight frame PALS sleeve

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
EDIT: Classified link with these: https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/pals-sleeves-for-mystery-ranch-guidelight.93073/#post-908154

This idea was on my to-do list and it kept getting pushed back. Well my hunts are bearing down so time to get it done. I think the comfort will be fine but I'll know better after putting it through the paces hunting. This will let me run my pocket selection I wore on my NICE frame.

kK50fRPl.jpg

Last edited:
OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
So far so good on the training hikes I did it'll go through the paces starting this weekend. :)

Let me know how it works, I'm down for a set.

What size belt are you running out of curiosity? I have the 29-34" one and that fits 6 columns of PALS taking it right to the front of the vertical webbing on the belt (10" long, losing 1/2" on each end from the binding). I had someone measure the 34-39" belt and it sounds like that is 12" so an additional PALS column could fit but not sure how far around those larger belts wrap on folks and if that extra PALS spot in the front would be worth pursuing. It would be where the vertical webbing is on the belt pad.

muddydogs

WKR
So far so good on the training hikes I did it'll go through the paces starting this weekend. :)

What size belt are you running out of curiosity? I have the 29-34" one and that fits 6 columns of PALS taking it right to the front of the vertical webbing on the belt (10" long, losing 1/2" on each end from the binding). I had someone measure the 34-39" belt and it sounds like that is 12" so an additional PALS column could fit but not sure how far around those larger belts wrap on folks and if that extra PALS spot in the front would be worth pursuing. It would be where the vertical webbing is on the belt pad.

You had me measure the 34-39 and 40+ belt for you a while ago when making the bino harness. I run the 40+ belt but still have both sizes if you need any other measurements. The 40+ belt is about an inch longer then the 34-39 belt. I'm not sure the extra PALs would be worth it as having anything that far forward on the belt can bind on the leg when climbing, I keep my belt pouches back about an inch from the vertical web strap to prevent the pinching.

Love the bino pouch you made, need to do a write up on it now that I got some hunting time with the pouch. I would like to do something different with the lid but not sure what to change about it, thought about having the lid open forward instead of back towards the chest but then its covering the top of the pockets and hanging open if I just have the bino's hanging loose. Guess I'm not sure there is a perfect solution for the lid, Other then the lid and the outside pockets that I had you make way to tall the pouch is what I wanted and works great. If you have any ideas for a different lid design let me know. I've packed the bino pouch around for 3 weeks now.

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I loose track of screen names versus emails sometimes, YOU are who I referenced above. ;) The larger 40+ belt you measured at about 13" which likely wasn't worth a difference over 12" but sounds like just doing 6 pals columns on 10" would do fine based on how you are saying the belt rides on you. :)

My head is swimming with prehunt thoughts right now (hiking in friday!) but if I have any brainstorms I'll let you know. I don't run a bino pouch so not as intimately familiar with personal preferences that might make the most sense.

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
On a couple day turn around between elk and deer, these suited me just fine on the elk hunt. One side I was running a pouch for a set of 8x42 binos and on the other side two 5x4x2 pouches (one for range finder and the other I use for misc gear or GPS as desired). Bonus is you can tuck the tails of the waist straps into the sleeve so they aren't dangling at your waist.

N967lMxl.jpg

Nice work Adam. Do these fit the hip pads pretty tight? (No sag or roll?) I'm considering how a sidearm and clip-on holster would ride if attached to this sleeve.

strand

Lil-Rokslider
I dig it. I was excited to read in another post you picked up a guidelight frame a while back. I figured a solution to get PALS webbing added to the hip belt wasn't far behind. I have the same questions as Kevin does above. I'm running slide-on Kuiu belt pouches at the moment, and the roll on them with a full loaded pack is borderline a no-go, but I'm addicted to hip belt pouches after running them on my NICE frame.

muddydogs

WKR
I dig it. I was excited to read in another post you picked up a guidelight frame a while back. I figured a solution to get PALS webbing added to the hip belt wasn't far behind. I have the same questions as Kevin does above. I'm running slide-on Kuiu belt pouches at the moment, and the roll on them with a full loaded pack is borderline a no-go, but I'm addicted to hip belt pouches after running them on my NICE frame.

Its easy to pull the web strap off the belt and sew on a piece of Velcro to mate up with the Kuiu pouch Velcro. My Kuiu pouches stay in place just fine with the Velcro, same set up as the Kuiu waist belt.

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yes rolling was a concern that I built in some features for and wanted to test out. There are two main things I did, first off I put some loops inside the sleeve and threaded the belt strap through them when installing the sleeve, this might be overkill and takes a little more effort to install the sleeve but will notably resist twisting when the belt is tightened down as it'll hold those loops in place. Secondly the interior seam between the nylon outer portion and the interior foam mesh sleeve material I bound and stitched down against the outer face (as far I an could get it into the machine from each end) which creates a stiff portion that doesn't want to easily slip past the edge of the belt pad. This is how mine looks after hiking around for 5 days and hauling out an elk, it was just unbuckled and tossed into the truck, I didn't reposition it. The rear portion of the PALS outer panel has some velco tabs that get sandwiched into the Velcro on the rear of the belt pad.

2CU6h19l.jpg

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
I got slipping issues with my Pintler in Medium size. Any chance you can build a sleeve that have anti-slip strips like those in carpet or anything that increases grip?
Thanks