What sewing machine for B69 thread

AKShooter

FNG
Hello

I've been making gear awhile. Generally I get by with cordura and webbing with multiple passes with a standard machine and sew all type threads. I do have a newer computerized Pfaff. Works with nylons great. Won't run the heavier threads at all though. Nor really does well with webbing.

I'd like to do more cordura and webbing. Read through a bunch of threads. I know there is a lot out there on this but not anything pointing me in a specific direction

Looking for machine model folks who do a lot of pack making and webbing work use? This would not be a commercial deal. Just want a dependable machine for the heavier threads and heavier fabrics.

Thanks!

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have a 60's model Japanese made Kenmore with all metal gears that will sew through most stuff, but you have to hand feed it a lot.

As materials get thicker the drop feed machines work worse and worse. At some point a walking foot starts to make sense. I've got one Sailrite LSZ-1 that will sew and feed anything I can get under the presser foot. These machines are modern versions of the old Thompson walking foot, being a semi industrial.

You can also look for used industrial walking foot machines, but I'd look for a servo motor, good low speed control, plus zig zag and reverse.

OP
A

AKShooter

FNG
Ya, ultimately I think I need a waking foot. My Pfaff has the IDT system. Which is basically a walking foot. That machine is awsome for silnylon and lighter stuff. Makes a sil tarp pretty easy.

My thought is to keep that one. Then add a dedicated machine for heavy stuff. General advise would be an older all steel machine. That also seems to be the most cost effective. I’m trying to keep this second machine under 500 bucks if I can.

I have a loca Pfaff dearer too. Going check them out for an older all stee model too. Was looking at the sailrite machines too. A bit more than I wanted to spend though

Last edited:

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Was looking at the sailrite machines too. A bit more than I wanted to spend though

Yeah, me too LOL.

But I've got to have the ability to tinker with design stuff at home and my choice came down to potentially buying multiple used machines until I found one that did everything I needed reliably, or buying new with great company support and a warranty. I took the lazy and more expensive route and have been happy so far.

Sailrite is now offering industrial tables and external motors so you can turn their heads into a full on industrial. I do have mine mounted on a table, but I haven't needed the motor yet.

OP
A

AKShooter

FNG
My other problem would be shipping to AK. Mainly for the industrial units and tables. I’ll start looking locally.

I got researching the sailrite. Took me to the Morse models. Believe they were made in Japan. I’ll also give my local shop a call. See what they have laying around. Nothing else should be able to get some advise

OP
A

AKShooter

FNG
NHBacon. What HD Singer model do you have? The 4423 seems to have decent reviews and the price is decent. I’d love a industrial machine. But I don’t really do the volume to justify the price on the ones I’m seeing.

OP
A

AKShooter

FNG
Just to add some closure. Lol. I picked up a late 60’s Kenmore. I’ll see how it goes. Also have my eye on a sailrite type machine too.

Mike7

WKR
Following this. Planing to get a new to me machine, and wanting to sew silnylon, cordura, polypro webbing, and maybe even stove jack material. The HD Singers are cheap to purchase new on Amazon, but I am not sure if they will do what I need?

OP
A

AKShooter

FNG
Mike7 -The point of the second machine for me is to have something to do the heavy stuff. I have a home Pfaff machine (about $600) that does nylons great, just not great on heavy stuff. I want a machine that basically gets B69 wound up, and it's dedicated for that. Most folks and websites say a good, older machine is a great place to start, and they are cheap (25-150) The machine I ended up with was sold as tuned and ready to go, we will see. My local shop didn't have what I was looking for, but they had used industrials,,,,they were about 500-600, basic straight-stitch only. Would have needed to look at a servo motor though. Who knows, maybe that will be my third machine, lol, but I'll run this new one for awhile and see.

All that said, the singer HD's get good reviews, seem to handle most fabrics,,,,and are cost effective. Don't see why they wouldn't be a good buy. And any machine is better than none. I used the cheapest brother you could buy at Walmart for 4 years,,,,made all kinds of stuff with it

OP
A

AKShooter

FNG
So had the chance to run some material through the new 1964 Kenmore. Wish I would have made this purchase years ago. Was able to run 69 and 92 through it. Even did a test that went up to 8 layers of cordura. I had to hand feed it to get started but after that it ran fine. Took some time to adjust tensions, to get good stitches. Webbing, no issues. Again, not a industrial machine, it has it's limitations, but a good addition!

Does not make me want to sell my Pfaff with IDT, again, it's awesome for the light stuff, but so far so good!

Last edited: