Sewing Awl for DIY Tarp Shelter

How much mileage can I get out of a sewing awl? Obviously it works for simple strap repairs, etc, but could I do a whole tarp shelter, for example? Let me split that into two parts:

• Would the stitch quality be good enough?
  • How long would it take to sew something like that with a sewing awl?
  • Are there any reasons other than stitch quality and time concerns I'm not thinking of that might force me into a mechanized sewing machine instead?

Beendare

WKR
How much mileage can I get out of a sewing awl? Obviously it works for simple strap repairs, etc, but could I do a whole tarp shelter, for example? Let me split that into two parts:

• Would the stitch quality be good enough?
  • How long would it take to sew something like that with a sewing awl?
  • Are there any reasons other than stitch quality and time concerns I'm not thinking of that might force me into a mechanized sewing machine instead?

Maybe look at it like this; i have 2 lines of stitching in each flat felled seam on my tipi. each seam is 10' plus long with appx 8 stitches per inch. 8 x 2 x 12 x 10=1,200 stitches.... one heck of a lot of stitches by hand and thats just that one seam.

I say buy an old Singer on Craiglist

OP
Boxerboxer
Maybe look at it like this; i have 2 lines of stitching in each flat felled seam on my tipi. each seam is 10' plus long with appx 8 stitches per inch. 8 x 2 x 12 x 10=1,200 stitches.... one heck of a lot of stitches by hand and thats just that one seam.

I say buy an old Singer on Craiglist

You make a compelling argument, especially if that stitching is something you need to pay fairly close attention to rather than something to do half watching the TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdamW

WKR
If I were sewing some pull out pouches I'd buy a cheap sewing machine, much less a tarp/shelter. I keep trying to decide if we're being trolled or if you're serious. :D

cnelk

WKR
The 'Awl for All' would take forever to do something big.
I use mine for for repairs or re-enforcing stitching

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you wanted to spend the time and are especially good regulating you're stitches it could certainly be done, but I'd bet you wouldn't make it through one seam before your patience wore out and you bought a machine. You'd be better equipped with a $20 machine from a yard sale

Live2hunt custom shelters