Straight cuts

NHBacon

FNG
Sooo during a recent pack build I used cereal boxes to get my cuts straight. I've just ordered the material to make the diy tipi. Curious if anybody had tips as to what to use as a pattern or are you just free handing these long patterns?? Thought about using a piece of tyvek. Thanks and happy building.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
I made a pattern from paper and a sharp pair of scissors.
The 1.6oz silpoly I used didn't have any of the unraveling that I had with other silnylons.. the non waterproof silnylon shreds bad.

I bought the wheel but it didn't work so well on my makeshift rough finish work table of OSB plywood.

Try this; put 1 1/2 sheets of plywood over another table- its kicks butt as a workspace and makes that slippery fabric easier to manipulate.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Chalkline, 6' straight edge, 12' piece of carpet metal from a flooring store, and Sharpie. Good scissors are important

Live2hunt custom shelters

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
I made a pyramid tent earlier this year and had the same problem. I thought about a chalk line to mark my long lines, but figured it wouldn’t work for some reason because of the silicon coating. Like the chalk would move easily and not actually mark it. Then I saw someone’s thread later on and used it to good effect... Instead, I pieces together some straight edges and marked with a sharpie. Would rather have done the chalk line looking back.

I used one of the rotary cutters and it worked well for me. Note to self-if you’re putting in a stove jack and making it yourself, don’t use the rotary cutter. The fiberglass seems to dull the crap out of it-grab some good scissors instead.

Jeremy

Floorguy

WKR
Ok, thanks I thought it was something specific. Almost all of the metal strip that long usually have a bend to them and wouldn't be good for straight cuts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok, thanks I thought it was something specific. Almost all of the metal strip that long usually have a bend to them and wouldn't be good for straight cuts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Few people need to use a 12-foot section anyway as that's a pretty long cut and the bend that it has is probably not enough to matter that much.

Live2hunt custom shelters

I know tile guys use hairspray to set their chalk lines so they can walk on them and not worry about them disappearing. Not sure what hairspray would do to silnylon. Might be worth testing on a scrap piece.

Aquanet always worked the best for me.

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
I'm currently using a chalkline to mark out 1.6 oz. silpoly and it's been working great. Nice crisp lines. I just tape the metal hook on the end to the floor, line up my fabric and snap a line. This is my first go at it tho.