DIY sleeping bag mod question

Hoythews71

Lil-Rokslider
Picked up a new Nemo Argali 15* long sleeping bag for a hella good price, and the built-in pad sleeve allows enough room for a 20" pad. Both my insulated and uninsulated pads (Klymit Static V's) are 23". Im military and out to sea, so I haven't been able to test the fit, but assuming I'll need to add an extra 1-3", what would be the best way to do so?

And I'll throw in a little sales pitch for the Argali bag...its awesome. Lightweight, packs small, plenty of room for bigger guys or those that don't want their legs restricted by a true to form mummy bag.

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for your military service. My initial thought would be to cut the sleeve down the middle and sew in some sort of 1-3” elastic straps to give it a bit of flex. The hardest part would be taking the scissors to that new bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
H

Hoythews71

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks MT. That was the most common sense thing, but you guys seem to come up with some pretty creative mods on here sometimes!

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
I know what you mean, I’ve tinkered a bit with a sewing machine but nothing like some of the guys on here. Maybe you can get a few others to chime in. Good luck.

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
I think the elastic straps would be a decent way to go. You could also cut the current “sleeve” and add in another piece of lightweight material to widen it if you didn’t want to deal with the stretch from the elastic?

Jeremy

colonel00

WKR
One thing you might try before any mods is to partially inflate the pad, put it in the sleeve and then inflate as much as possible. This might end up working just fine.