DIY Stove Bag?

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
For you guys who’ve made your own stoves and the accompanying bags for storage and packing on the trip, what material did you use? I had some uncoated 1.9 Ripstop nylon that I used. The bag for the end plates, cable rings, etc is just fine. The one for the Ti body and pipe is not fine... The corners of the metal were pretty good at tearing holes in the nylon. I want something that’s going to stand up to the pokes that will be inevitable with the metal without completely overdoing it. Any suggestions on which material?

Jeremy

colonel00

WKR
I made mine out of a DWR coated ripstop. It's closer to regular ripstop nylon than silnylon. Think of a tent liner or outer material for a quilt/bag that will still bead up water. Anyway, it's a lightweight material but it's held up just fine. One thing you can do is to take a file/Dremel and round off the corners of your metal foil a little. Not only will this save your bag, it will save your fingers too.

gustafsj

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not done making my stove yet, but just found a bag that I received at a promotional event that is just the right size. I plan on trimming off the extra straps, etc and will see how much it weighs. I was thinking about stopping at a Goodwill to find an old laptop bag, those should be about the right size too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
G

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the suggestions guys-I appreciate it. I may have to go to the fabric store and see if there’s anything that would fit the bill or go online for some cordura or something. Thanks again.

Jeremy

colonel00

WKR
Thanks for the suggestions guys-I appreciate it. I may have to go to the fabric store and see if there’s anything that would fit the bill or go online for some cordura or something. Thanks again.

Jeremy
Honestly, I'd just go to the fabric store like JoAnn and look through their discount bin of fabric. The stuff that was cut the wrong left or the end of a roll or whatever. Usually pretty cheap. Just find a lightweight fabric and go with it. I did this when I wanted to make a sock for a fly rod.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk