Climber Tree Stand Modification

cnelk

WKR
I was having some problems with the lower toothed belt of my XOP climber hanging up on rough bark/knots of cottonwood trees.

So I slipped a short piece of black lightweight irrigation pipe over the belt and now it slides right on over as I go up/down

sEKkzxI.jpg

oa8dVra.jpg

LostArra

WKR
You're a braver man than I.

I like my climber belts a little "grabby".
In fact, I like them very grabby.:cool:

Kindo

WKR
I braved the old 'Bakers' and lived...

Oh man, that's not a name you hear very often! Last time I saw one was when my great uncle at 73 years old insisted on using his to climb a 12" diameter poplar for gun deer season in northern WI. I've heard many stories of the sound you'd hear when one of them would let loose on a tree.

Beendare

WKR
Yeah, I had a Baker....didn't use a tree stand much back then though.

I like your idea Cnelk....I'm wondering if it might be better to have just a little less poly tubing on there....say just enough in the center to slide but when you lock in place there is some traction belt against the tree for grip. Of course every tree is different dia......but in your example would the tubing be better if it were 4"-6" shorter?

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
Beendare
Yep and I will be doing that.

Just wanted to give people an 'idea' since I hadnt seen anyone do it before

yardwork

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting idea. Would a section of bike tire tube do the trick as well with less potential down-"slide"? :cool:

With my Lone Wolf I generally leave a bit more slack in the lower belt for easier climbing and then once I'm at the height I want I sit on the seat with safety belt snugged and reach down and tighten the lower belt to level the standing platform (lower platform attached by straps to seat.) It works ok but I see your idea eliminating the need in many instances.

Good luck!

tracker12

WKR
I like that idea. I also hated the belt catching. Reason I sol the LW and went back to my Summit.

I was having some problems with the lower toothed belt of my XOP climber hanging up on rough bark/knots of cottonwood trees.

So I slipped a short piece of black lightweight irrigation pipe over the belt and now it slides right on over as I go up/down

sEKkzxI.jpg

oa8dVra.jpg

No worries of sliding down the tree only to be saved from your free fall by the ground?????

I am ALWAYS tweaking my rig but this one looks a little sketchy as it looks like you lose a lot of that bite on the wrong type of tree, could be wrong? Bravo if it works awesome as i know what youre saying about it hanging up, try a shag bark hickory once. Wow what a PITA! lol

The best tweak i did (to the LW sit and climb) was remove the LW seat and put on the Summit Viper seat. Its now like the perfect stand IMO.

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
I have not had an issue with 'bite' - the poly tube isnt that heavy and the teeth from the belt actually still grab
[I have shortened the poly pipe a couple inches]
I climb a power pole in my back yard with it and that has NO bark :)

Plus the seat and foot stand are always connected by 2 straps, that are tightened when you get to the height you want

No possible way the stand can slide down

My definition of sketchy? Baker stands :)

AdamW

WKR
I have not had an issue with 'bite' - the poly tube isnt that heavy and the teeth from the belt actually still grab
[I have shortened the poly pipe a couple inches]
I climb a power pole in my back yard with it and that has NO bark :)

Plus the seat and foot stand are always connected by 2 straps, that are tightened when you get to the height you want

No possible way the stand can slide down

My definition of sketchy? Baker stands :)

I had never heard of Baker, and my google turns up the phrase "death trap" a lot. Hahaha. Though not really a laughing matter I guess.

I guy here in MO called a conservation agent the other day. His platform had fallen down the tree while climbing and he was stuck. Good thing he had cell coverage! The agent then tied 2 pieces of paracord between the seat and the platform. Sounds like your straps are a better solution.

Trial153

WKR
looks like a good mod, might pay to carry a small secition incase i need it for simillar trees.

Deepshax

WKR
Ive never really had a problem with the belts on on LW catching. I climb all type of trees. I just angle the platforms a little more before moving to the next "rung".

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
Ive never really had a problem with the belts on on LW catching. I climb all type of trees. I just angle the platforms a little more before moving to the next "rung".

Give the twisted, crooked cottonwoods of the western Nebraska river bottoms a try. :)

ethan

WKR
My Father did the same thing on his sit and climb, except he used a piece of 3/4” banding material about 10” long and shrink tubing. Just enough Tom give it some rigidity, but the “teeth” of the belts are still protruding. The shrink tubing just formed around it. I personally didn’t really think it was necessary and us men as is. Good idea though.

Btaylor

WKR
10 year Baker survivor here lol. You mentioned straps between top and bottom. Are you using the set from third hand or something different?

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
10 year Baker survivor here lol. You mentioned straps between top and bottom. Are you using the set from third hand or something different?

The XOP came with top/bottom connector straps along with a plastic clip.
It wasnt too long and the clip broke, so I made my own straps/connectors [since the above pic was taken]