Material for roll top on a dry bag??

AKShooter

FNG
Hello

I've just used webbing in the past. Basically sewing it around the top of whatever fabric the bag is. Generally a silnylon. But would like to use something more suitable. I do have some hypalon, in awesome green, I use it for the pack frame connection, I make bags for my Kifaru frame. Was thinking about cutting strips of this

Was wondering what folks are using?? And where they bought it.

diyguy

FNG
I have used some 1" tubular webbing that I had lying around and put 2 pieces of an old plastic snow sled inside to give it some rigidity. Works pretty good and helps the bag top to roll a lot neater. The only thing with that method is the extra weight. If I remember I will grab some pictures when I get home from work.

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
A friend and I were talking about this and he had mentioned the thin, flexible cutting boards. You can get them for really cheap and then just cut whatever width you want and stitch it in. I didn’t use it for that application yet, but I was able to sew through it.

Jeremy

I’ll post pictures in a bit but I just cut a plastic milk jug in to strips and sewed them under the webbing for my bags, works really well, not too stiff and seems to be holding up well so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c7494e6dae389104682a277543179f8d.jpg
9aa1e834b0be5ecf037054a4b3f82215.jpg
e439e862b23158e3ab2a05fb3f07c8ed.jpg
e186689b40d3a11437985b4a6cd87fb8.jpg
4ad63131c5633c9ee21b9a758169161d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Owenst7

WKR
McMaster-Carr
McMaster-Carr

Guy could play around with some different materials and thicknesses, although I'd probably just go to polyethylene or polpropylene. 4 mil uhmwpe is probably real close to what commercial bags are made of. Maybe HDPE if the UHMW is too stiff.

OP
A

AKShooter

FNG
Thanks for the feedback. I’ll try some plastic. My next pack is sim to the seek outside. So a roll top. Figure I’d use the hypalon for that. But I’ll look for some plastic for bags.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
So you've tried just webbing and had issues with it? Or just going for something different? My day pack which gets used a lot is a roll top and as noted its a perimeter of webbing and rolls up just fine and stays rolled (the tails strap down to the side of the bag).

oenanthe

WKR
Here's something not to use - plastic plumber's strap (like this: Oatey-Plastic-Hanger-Strap | Oatey). That stuff is really tough so I thought it would make a good rolltop. But it develops a soft spot where the holes are after a fair bit of use; kind of has a kink in it. Still works OK most of the time, but it is no longer waterproof. It just doesn't seal well once it kinks.

OP
A

AKShooter

FNG
I found this on ebay, I'll give it a go. HDPE High Density Polyethylene Sheet - Flexible - .030" x 12" x 21.5" | eBay

The webbing has worked ok in the past, I was on Kuiu's site and see that they use "hypalon" for their roll tops, just got me thinking. Hypalon is very grabby for lack of a better word. Think it would be good for backpacks and small bags.

If you get over about 10-inches on a regular dry bag opening, ya, its a little harder to get it rolled just using webbing. Something with more structure would provide it something to roll against. Or at least that's the thought.

Been thinking about fabric too, while more expensive, I like the feel of a standard 2-ply gortex type fabric. Little softer, typically I have just been using nylons.