Another tipi build

NHBacon

FNG
Getting ready to start another tipi build. Gonna run the seams as a fold over. Anybody have suggestions on a glue to keep the silpoly in place? Basting tape, elmers glue stick, pins?
I used small clamps last go around. They work ok but stuff still wants to move on ya. Suggestions welcomed.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up not really using anything once I got the seam started. I’d hold the material past the presser foot with my left hand, and I’d use my right to hold the material closest to me. I could control the feed better and I’d use my right hand to hold the two pieces of material together so they were lined up. When my right hand got close to the presser foot, I’d just stop and move my hand down and ensure the material was positioned correctly. Then press down on the pedal and away I went. There are different concerns for the various portions of the seam. Obviously the first line of stitching is keeping both pieces of material together and lined up. For my seam, I had 5 lines of stitching before it was complete. When you fold the material back on itself or whatever, you just take your time and make sure it’s all laying flat and how you want it. I was a little surprised at how it all ended up working for me. But, I also understand that pins or tape of some kind could be more of a necessity depending upon the seams(s) used.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Jeremy

Beendare

WKR
I like the iron on seam tape to hold the 2 pieces together. Then when folding I have a little square piece of cardboard jig with marks at 5/8" to help fold the fabric while sewing.

OP
N

NHBacon

FNG
I like the iron on seam tape to hold the 2 pieces together. Then when folding I have a little square piece of cardboard jig with marks at 5/8" to help fold the fabric while sewing.
Any chance you can post some pics of that process

OP
N

NHBacon

FNG
This tipi came out real nice. This one is 8'x8' with a center height of 6'. Super happy with this one. I'm contemplating pulling the first one I built apart and make it again. Basically cutting the seams out and just sewing it up again. I'm addicted
3ea5e17bf6fc711b6183ba38c00b3116.jpg
c6add9580974379cf1f6fab1b0eb4c24.jpg

How do you guys make the peaks come together nice and clean? Do you start from the top and sew down? Ive been starting at the bottom and working up but when I get toward the top things seam to get sloppy.

OP
N

NHBacon

FNG
How do you guys make the peaks come together nice and clean? Do you start from the top and sew down? Ive been starting at the bottom and working up but when I get toward the top things seam to get sloppy.
So I start from the top. Each side has two pieces. I essentially sew the side panels together first. To include making the door side. Then I would be left with 4 sides to sew together. I see the 3 non door side together and then lastly sew the door panel in. For me the tops are a little easier when you are sewing a full panel together. I still have overlap. The two that I have made I sew straight across about 2 inches down, then I cut the top off. I cut a circle out of my cap and support piece. As a template I've been using a 2.5 lb plate weight, and my roof cap is a 10lb. I pin that in the middle and sew along the edge. Ultimately this will fold on you. Cut straight to the center and let this overlap, then finish sewing. Good luck to ya

What material and tools are y’all using for this and total cost of build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
N

NHBacon

FNG
I got all my material from RBTR. I'm not sure on cost. I can say its way cheaper than buying one. When I made my first tipi I ordered the silly stuff like zippers, ribbon, stovejack material and the peak cover material not in bulk but way more than I would use on 1 tipi. This one above I got the 11 yards of material when they had a sale. I think it was $65? I cut the materials at night during the week. I was able to get a whole 6 hours on a Saturday to sew it all together. Second time around was a whole lot quicker. I sew on a newer Singer. Although I've been eyeballing a husqvarna at the local shop. If I could get into making one a month I may consider upgrading the machine.