Waterproofing old gators idea

Tbuckus

WKR
I have some old nylon gators that aren’t waterproof anymore. Since I rarely use them, and I’m cheap, I was trying to think of a way to re waterproof them.
I can try the nikwax waterproof spray on or wash in, but what about the silicone treatment that people use for silnylon and their tents? I’m talking about the diluted silicone that is brushed on that has been mentioned before on this site.
I was thinking this would be a more permanent treatment.
Anyone try this? Opinion?

JDeanP

Lil-Rokslider
Haven't seen it done myself, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't work. They aren't going to breathe worth a hoot, but that may not matter.

Haven't seen it done myself, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't work. They aren't going to breathe worth a hoot, but that may not matter.
Might consider the spray on tent water proofing you can usually find at Walmart. Works well for waterproofing tent material. A little smelly so you might want to air them out a while after applying.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
I did a thread on it a few months ago bro. Seam sealed my mesh boots....works like a champ.

you are talking about doing the underside of your gaiter, right? Of course it will work....its akin to the coating they put on originally but a little better....and heavier.

OP
T

Tbuckus

WKR
I did a thread on it a few months ago bro. Seam sealed my mesh boots....works like a champ.

you are talking about doing the underside of your gaiter, right? Of course it will work....its akin to the coating they put on originally but a little better....and heavier.
Thanks.
Couldn’t find your post but I figured someone would have thought of this before me.