VX21 X-Pac Fabric

mmccolloch

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys,

Quick question for all of the DIY experts. I'm planning a pack build and would like to use VX21 (210D) X-Pac for the back panel (closets to the frame) & a sewn in meat shelf for the pack. The thought being to save some weight over standard 500D as well as provide a level of protection from the main bag from meat, etc. I did see that they have a 410D X-Pac fabric as well, but that doesn't offer any weight savings, which is really what I'm looking for.

I have some VX21 on its way in the mail, but I have yet to actually see/feel this fabric.

Has anyone used the VX21 fabric for this application or something similar? How durable is it?

Thanks guys!

Beendare

WKR
I have some of the 210 wt grid stop from RSBTR and its plenty tough enough for a pack, IMO. I know some packmakers have gone to this weight fabric.

Now its not going to be as tough as the Dyneema my McHale is made from...that dang pack will outlive me.

Last edited:

duchntr

WKR
I have a few years on my seek outside pack that came with vx21 front pocket/compression panel. Seems pretty strong to me has a few small holes from being in shale and other sharp rocks but nothing that wouldn't give 500d cordura holes either. Another nice bonus as you are probably aware, is the waterproofness of this fabric, makes washing blood out a breeze. If you are wanting a heavy use pack that will be spending lots of time in the rocks Id probably step up to the heavier fabric for the outside of the pack, and using the lighter stuff on the inside should be great.

AKShooter

FNG
I've used quite a bit of the "soft" XPac. Sewed other projects with other xpac. It's a little tougher sew than 500 cordura. A bit stiffer. Has a tendency to roll. Do not iron it! Feels just as tough as a 500d. Maybe more so. I have been using it to cut a little weight, but mainly the fact its waterproof. Would like to eliminate a pack cover. Here is one, a copy of a seek outside bag on a Kifaru frame. Have the lightweight stuff too. Going to see how that goes.
View attachment 61698

gustafsj

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using the Seek Outside packs too for a few years. It wears really well, nice to have the waterproofness and nice and lightweight. The one drawback is that it is noisier, especially the colder it gets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

mmccolloch

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. I think I'll give it a try and report back after I have some time to do some testing.

Seth1913

Lil-Rokslider
Little late to the show but my seek outside in vx21 as held up well through some decent punishment