Kydex

Anyone work with kydex? Gonna dive in a do few projects. Looks pretty straight forward. Any tips or inside secrets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jet-Tac

FNG
I owned a holster company for a few years so I'll offer up what I can.
-Use .080 kydex its the nicest to work with IMO
-330 degrees is about where you want the temp of the kydex, that gives great definition and retention when forming.
-Use a decent closed cell foam for pressing
-Press with as much force as can be mustered
-If you are making a holster for a polymer gun make certain you place a mag in the magwell prior to pressing. The heat from the kydex and the force of the press will deform the grip.

Any questions just ask I'll be more than happy to help

OP
Jake Leibke
I owned a holster company for a few years so I'll offer up what I can.
-Use .080 kydex its the nicest to work with IMO
-330 degrees is about where you want the temp of the kydex, that gives great definition and retention when forming.
-Use a decent closed cell foam for pressing
-Press with as much force as can be mustered
-If you are making a holster for a polymer gun make certain you place a mag in the magwell prior to pressing. The heat from the kydex and the force of the press will deform the grip.

Any questions just ask I'll be more than happy to help

Do you use the lighter grade for mag holsters or knife sheaths etc.?

Jet-Tac

FNG
You can, there is nothing wrong with the .060 over the years I just preferred the .080. Biggest thing for me was the edge finishing. Of course I was selling product so the finish was fairly important. Once you bend them they are all strong if that makes sense.

OP
Jake Leibke
Got a few pieces finished up yesterday. Not bad for the first go round.

OP
Jake Leibke
fd790fe83987eaa992c6c79496b42886.jpg

be520548a952f5a5c95a6a4ef8295765.jpg

8a44a1311e1b318175c4a1413cf6935e.jpg

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
OP
Jake Leibke
I was cheap and bought the $12 tool from them. I’ve only made a few things and already know I need to get a different river tool. The one I have works but it doesn’t leave them very clean and uniform.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
You could try buying an arbor press from Harbor Freight and seeing if you get better results with that as well.

I bought supplies from knife kits. I failed at holsters for the most part but made knife sheaths, axe covers and a few Knick knacks. I bought a press that I like but had better results with a diy press I made from foam, lumber and clamps. I used a belt sander clamped In my vice for shaping and finishing. Much cheaper than replacing wheels on a grinder.

Last edited:
I have no experience with the material and I'm not as handy as many of you, but I've always thought it would be nice to use something like kydex to make a sheath for my bugle that straps to the side of my pack. I just have some 550 cord tied to both sides of my bugle and throw it over my shoulder for hiking, but it would be pretty slick to just reach back and slide it into a sheath instead. This would eliminate one more strap or chord hanging off my neck.

Tbuckus

WKR
Sort of a highjack,
What would be best to wrap kydex around a rifle stock?
I want to make an adjustable comb for my rifle and I want it to be the same shape as the stock.

OP
Jake Leibke
Sort of a highjack,
What would be best to wrap kydex around a rifle stock?
I want to make an adjustable comb for my rifle and I want it to be the same shape as the stock.

That’s an interesting idea. I like it! Guessing you’d have to wrap the kydex around your stock to match the shape.