Camo Merino Fabric?

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
So, I have ape arms... Finding stuff that fits me for sleeve length without swimming in it is somewhat challenging. Not impossible, but definitely not off the shelf easy. I always hold off on ordering stuff from online sources with good deals because I just can’t stand getting it in the mail, only to have it be too short for my arms. After making some quilts, a tarp, and my tent, I’d like to look at making some clothing. I’ve got a pattern for a hooded jacket and pants to try out, but I also want to try for some other stuff. Namely, some Merino wool clothing. Has anyone done this? Where do you get your Merino wool? There seem to be a number of different suppliers from a google search. One thing that doesn’t seem to come up is Merino wool in any kind of a camo pattern. Are the companies that put out camo Merino products so specialized that any camo fabric is special order in large quantities and only available to a commercial operation?

There are different camo fleece fabrics out there, I guess I just thought Merino in camo would be something available to the average guy? Thanks in advance for any help-I appreciate it.

Jeremy

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm not a fan of camo merino......for whatever reason it stinks (sewer kind of smell) when it gets wet, even more so than solid color merino. I remember washing the first camo piece at home with a load of laundry, I was convinced that we had a sewer line backup into the washer drain line. Then when it got wet with sweat or rain it was the same way. Nothing like the solid colors, I even tried different brands.

Also, I'm interested to know your sleeve length. I wear 38" sleeves in dress shirts and haven't had many issues in sleeve length for base layers. You could even get First Lite that has the thumb holes to stretch the sleeves long enough.

I've never seen any merino fabrics anywhere for DIY jobs.

IdahoElk

WKR
I'm not a fan of camo merino......for whatever reason it stinks (sewer kind of smell) when it gets wet, even more so than solid color merino. I remember washing the first camo piece at home with a load of laundry, I was convinced that we had a sewer line backup into the washer drain line. Then when it got wet with sweat or rain it was the same way. Nothing like the solid colors, I even tried different brands.

Also, I'm interested to know your sleeve length. I wear 38" sleeves in dress shirts and haven't had many issues in sleeve length for base layers. You could even get First Lite that has the thumb holes to stretch the sleeves long enough.

Was that a Kuiu shirt? I remember about 4yrs ago getting a shirt that when wet smelled awful,they replaced it,hasn't happened since.

OP
G

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
5Miles-
That sounds unfortunate and odd... I wouldn’t want to wear such a smelly garment, either. My arms are a touch shorter than yours; I guess I’ve just had enough long sleeve “stuff” that didn’t quite fit that I get nervous buying anything that doesn’t say “long” or list the sleeve length. A friend let me borrow his Merino camo quarter zip base layer when I went out with him while he was bow hunting. It was nearly long enough, but I figured it might be nice to make some stuff that was exactly what I wanted in regards to thickness, length, zipper length, etc. I don’t really have much camo (I hunt a lot in solid colors), but my friend really wanted me in some camo since we’d need to get up close to skewer a deer with his bow. I wouldn’t mind having a little camo for such occasions, though if I can figure out how to make some different clothing, I’m sure I’d make some in solids, too.

Jeremy

Beendare

WKR
Might be another option for you.

I have fairly long arms and stretch the sleeves on my merino out of the wash to keep the sleeves long enough. You could easily do the same...or air dry your shirts on a stretcher that holds them--just an idea. It works for me.

You just can't throw this stuff in the dryer or you lose a little length....OK if you are a shorter guy as it makes the fabric more dense..but not for tall guys. My merino socks get tossed in the dryer sometimes and they do OK...but its best to air dry this merino stuff.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Was that a Kuiu shirt? I remember about 4yrs ago getting a shirt that when wet smelled awful,they replaced it,hasn't happened since.

A couple of them were. The KUIU were worse, as they also had a strong chemical smell to them in addition to the sewer smell. The last time I wore a KUIU one I had been running to get to a spot to cut off a herd of elk. It got so bad I had to take it off, I couldn't take it. I do have a very sensitive nose, but I have probably a dozen solid color merino shirts and they're all fine.

As for the length.......I'm not really concerned whether my wrists are covered for wicking ability, so a little short is no big deal. In fact, half my merino shirts are short sleeve.

LandYacht

WKR
Just from listening to the podcasts that the Gritty Bowmen did with First Lite, Sitka, and Kryptek, they all print their own merino.

First Lite was the first to do it and it is a rather difficult process from their explanation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
G

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
Just from listening to the podcasts that the Gritty Bowmen did with First Lite, Sitka, and Kryptek, they all print their own merino.

First Lite was the first to do it and it is a rather difficult process from their explanation.

Thanks, Landyacht. That’s kind of what I assumed was going on-otherwise it should have been easier to locate through some searching. Maybe I’ll try some tie dye camo... ;).

Jeremy

gustafsj

Lil-Rokslider
I have 37” arms, 6’4”, 185 and have also had good luck with First Lite in Large. I haven’t noticed any smell with their fusion camo Chama Hoody. I have merino shirts from Ibex, Icebreaker and Smartwool. First Lite quality is definitely up to par if not better.

gustafsj

Lil-Rokslider
A couple other thoughts is that I always line dry my merino clothes. I’m also not totally convinced that camo is that much better than the Dry Earth color First Lite uses. That is about the same color that many of the big game animals are, isn’t it? God made them that color for a reason...

IdahoElk

WKR

Actually Icebreaker was the first and incidentally where First Lite learned,they are both located in the same town.

Kulshan

Lil-Rokslider
Actually Icebreaker was the first and incidentally where First Lite learned,they are both located in the same town.

What your saying is simply not true or Kenton is a liar.
http://http://www.wideopenspaces.com/first-rate-conversation-first-lite-co-founder-kenton-carruth/
He added that the early hurdle to get over was printing a hunter-friendly pattern on the textile, a feat that hadn’t been accomplished before.

Finding a Pattern
“At that time there were great merino products available in base layers, but they were all solid primary colors,” Kenton told me. “We didn’t want to have to pair a subpar mid weight product in a camo pattern with the product we wanted to exclusively use.” The building blocks of First Lite would rest on the foundation of being able to print a camouflage pattern on merino wool.

IdahoElk

WKR
What your saying is simply not true or Kenton is a liar.
http://http://www.wideopenspaces.com/first-rate-conversation-first-lite-co-founder-kenton-carruth/
He added that the early hurdle to get over was printing a hunter-friendly pattern on the textile, a feat that hadn’t been accomplished before.

Finding a Pattern
“At that time there were great merino products available in base layers, but they were all solid primary colors,” Kenton told me. “We didn’t want to have to pair a subpar mid weight product in a camo pattern with the product we wanted to exclusively use.” The building blocks of First Lite would rest on the foundation of being able to print a camouflage pattern on merino wool.

Icebreaker's headquarters was located in our town in 2004,at that time I believe they had one camo pattern(still do),three years later Kenton,who was a photographer at the time started first lite.

interesting. i bought a First Lite button down from Cabelas that had a strange smell... i thought maybe they used a blend or something was up. it was supposed to 100%MERINO but it had a funky smell to it. never had issue with any of my merino solids.