Stove Pipe "Hack" for High Winds

parshal

WKR
I thought I'd share this if anyone is interested.

On my elk hunt we had high winds blowing my stove pipe around in my 12 man tipi. It started to open the stove pipe cutout a bit and I didn't want it tearing. I like my stovepipe a little higher outside (which probably contributes a bit to the wind effect) to avoid spark holes so I took some bailing wire (actually a thinner gauge and easier to twist) and wrapped it around the stove pipe and interior pole to give it a bit more stability. It kept it quite still.

Rather than have wire there to potentially tear the tent if something were to go wrong I bought some high temp wire and some cord locks. It's much lighter and coils up easily. Just cut off a length that will work in your shelter and use the locks at the center pole and things stop moving around.

Anyone come up with something similar?

Beendare

WKR
The big stove pipe in my wall tent has been more of an issue than the 2 1/2" dia pipe in my tipi. For the big pipe I have holes drilled and can use simple wire rings and guy that out if needed.

The key to my tipi pipe starts with the whole setup. I have a baffle in the stove itself, then a screen at the base of the pipe.....so i don't need much pipe exposed....18" max...and I haven't burned a hole in the Silpoly yet. Had some 60 mph winds in Alaska this year and no problems.

I have had 50 mph winds in the wall tent and the pipe stability was fine...but the strong wind kept the pipe from drafting properly...now THATS a PITA.

OP
parshal

parshal

WKR
I've only used 4-5" pipe in my 12 man so I have no experience with the smaller pipe. Good to hear it's not as much of an issue.

I haven't had a spark hole yet either!

jhayes6405

Lil-Rokslider
The big stove pipe in my wall tent has been more of an issue than the 2 1/2" dia pipe in my tipi. For the big pipe I have holes drilled and can use simple wire rings and guy that out if needed.

The key to my tipi pipe starts with the whole setup. I have a baffle in the stove itself, then a screen at the base of the pipe.....so i don't need much pipe exposed....18" max...and I haven't burned a hole in the Silpoly yet. Had some 60 mph winds in Alaska this year and no problems.

I have had 50 mph winds in the wall tent and the pipe stability was fine...but the strong wind kept the pipe from drafting properly...now THATS a PITA.

Who makes a silpoly tipi???? I've thought all the big manufacturers used silnylon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the high wind issues with drafting this year too. I had both tent doors open several times and eventually just put the dang fire out and roughed it thru the night.
My pipe 2.75 never blew around that I could tell, and it sticks out like 2 feet. I also run the baffle and screen arrestor.

Totally sucks when the stove has to be shut down, and it's under 20 out, snowing and high winds at 10,000+ elev. My sleeping bag did great though and I didn't die.
I never thought about carrying something in my kit for this scenario- but it may be a good idea.
My kit comes with 3 larger cables to hold it all together when packed/rolled up. I may utilize those, make them into a figure 8 and tie off to the one loop with paracord.
Thx for the idea.

Beendare

WKR
Who makes a silpoly tipi???? I've thought all the big manufacturers used silnylon.

I did
first pitch.jpg
___

regarding high winds; There is a fix when you can't get your pipe to draft in strong winds. You need either; 1) one of those directional caps, or 2) an elbow at the top facing downwind. Either keeps the strong wind from blocking normal venting and with one of these the strong wind actually helps it vent.

Its a PITA when the stove won't draft and your tent starts filling up with smoke. FWIW, its only happened to me twice...both cases were very strong winds- I would say 40 mph + and in my wall tent- not in either of the tipis I've owned...yet anyway!

I did
View attachment 62329
___

regarding high winds; There is a fix when you can't get your pipe to draft in strong winds. You need either; 1) one of those directional caps, or 2) an elbow at the top facing downwind. Either keeps the strong wind from blocking normal venting and with one of these the strong wind actually helps it vent.

Its a PITA when the stove won't draft and your tent starts filling up with smoke. FWIW, its only happened to me twice...both cases were very strong winds- I would say 40 mph + and in my wall tent- not in either of the tipis I've owned...yet anyway!

Hmmm what about cutting the pipe end at a 45* and folding those sharp edges over and turning the pipe properly ?
Id like to avoid any more items in my stove kit.
But after that last trip, I am willing to do most anything.
Most All my stuff still wreaks like smoke.

GotDraw?

WKR
Better to reek of smoke than perfume that leaked from someone else's checked luggage onto your checked gear duffel!

GotDraw?

WKR
Better to reek of smoke than perfume that leaked from someone else's checked luggage onto your checked gear duffel!
Happened to a hunter I met at an airport. He was pissed.
JL

Hmmm what about cutting the pipe end at a 45* and folding those sharp edges over and turning the pipe properly ?
Id like to avoid any more items in my stove kit.
But after that last trip, I am willing to do most anything.
Most All my stuff still wreaks like smoke.

Happened to a hunter I met at an airport. He was pissed.
JL

That would suck- especially if it was a high end perfume that lasted for a week to our noses, and like a decade to an elk.