Sewing in Peak/Cone in a Tipi

tommymo

Lil-Rokslider
Hi Everyone,

Can anyone help me out with how one sews in the Peak/Cone on a Tipi?

I have been meaning to start this project for a while and now have finally decided to move forward with a Cimmaron tipi style tent. I created a sketchup file and have been reading the forum and still do not see how to accomplish this last piece. I have a SilverTip and have been trying to figure out how its done, but can't see how it was done

Do you create the cone first then sew it in? IF so are you cutting the top of the sewn in panels off and then put the cone on? Would just putting a circular patch on top and inside be enough? I would think the pole could slide out, where a cone would hold the center pole in better.

If anyone has any detailed pics please help me out. I have been reading a bunch of posts and it seems this is a common question in many posts.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Beendare

WKR
I did mine after the fact...a PITA on my machine.

If I was doing another one I would sew in the cone as I'm putting the panels together.

edit; so I would form the cone using extra fabric but not stitch it closed on the side, sew the top 1" tip pretty solid so the pole won't poke through, then work my way around stitching as you go only on the seams.
___
Or if I did it after the fact again......I would form the cone and sew it closed on the machine, then glue the cone in place with Barge cement or something, then just put a few hand stitches in to hold it.

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I didn't sew mine too all panels just to the zipper where it attached to front panels. I added a strap loop to center pole and keep it from moving
6eb94f082b6018044220022b133af8ca.jpg

The smaller tab is for a inner clothes line

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
I sewed mine after the fact-I think it’s just a little bit of a tough part of the project. I had the body seen together, then cut a piece of heavier material in a circle. I pushed that into the peak on the inside and began stitching vertically on the seams. As I went around on each seam, this left excess that I eventually folded/made a crease in that reinforcement piece. Ultimately, I ended up stitching around the bottom of the circle in addition to the vertical stitches. Seems to be holding nicely so far.

Jeremy

gumbl3

WKR
I'm working on a six sided tipi, it's not done but I have somewhat gotten through this part. What I did was traced one of the sides (triangle) on paper then laid out 6 side by side so that it would make a cone when it all came together. Since it was one continuous piece I added 1/2" or so I could overlap and fold my raw edge over. I pinned it and sewed vertically up the seams. My machine wouldn't go up and over the top (just too much material and it would mess up the point) so it left me ~1" unsewn until I got to the peak. I think I'll just hand stitch the rest of the way up and add another small piece of the heavier material to the inside to protect against the pole, due to the way this worked out I don't have to worry about the pole slipping, it kept a pretty nice point at the peak.

530Chukar

WKR
I glued a 8" piece of 500D cordura to the center of the inside of the peak. Then sewed it in vertically with the seams as Gudsplr said. After the center pole slipped off in the wind I sewed a 6" sheath to slide over the end of the center pole. The bottom end was open and the top end sewn to the center of the peak. Now the center pole slides into this and cannot come off center.