Diy woobie?

So I made an order from rsbtr. Was gonna try making a woobie my . My question is I ordered the 1.2 oz robic. Is this fabric to heavy. Or should I have gone lighter. Seems to be tons of options. After I ordered it dawned on me I have no clue about this fabric. I wanted a bit tougher fabric because it's gonna be ridding in a c-130 quite a bit as well.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Jackalope

FNG
I wouldn’t say it’s too heavy. I ordered the same and it was really light weight. I ended up ruining it, but that wasn’t the fabrics fault. :rolleyes:

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
not too heavy imo- Robic is great stuff- very water and wind resistant, but still breathable- I have a jacket and a 1/2 bag in the fabric

they make Robic in .74 as well, but I don't think 1.2 is too heavy

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Robic is a surprisingly tough fabric. When working with it, it does want to fray on the edges so bit of care is needed there.

Live2hunt custom shelters

OP
W
So here is another question. How do you tell which side of robic 1.2 should be on the outside. It was my impression the dwr side should be out. And have a duller finish but they both seem the same.

ChrisS

WKR
So here is another question. How do you tell which side of robic 1.2 should be on the outside. It was my impression the dwr side should be out. And have a duller finish but they both seem the same.

If you got it calendared, there should be a bit of a difference in fabric finish. If you didn't, no big deal.

I used 1.6 hyperD for mine. It's a bit heavier, topping out at just under 30 ounces for a ~90" by ~60" quilt with 3.6 Apex.

But I wanted mine a bit more burly because I intend to use it outside during long cold sits

OP
W
I talked to rbtr , they told me either side is fine. Me sewing skills do need some work but it turned out ok. I'll Or only be making some more for my kids and wife. It will get better with time. My bobbin thread wanted to keep bunching up on me. Have to figure out why. Maybe tension or unskilled sewing abilities either way learning.
311d840dc1ba0cb45b9840b4a3c3ad1e.jpg

Super Moderator
Staff member
If bobbin thread is bunching your thread tension is messed up somewhere. It's most likely the bobbin tension needs adjusted.

OP
W
It's 3.6 apex. Not sure of weight don't have a scale.

So would you think i need to add tension or take tension away. My machine is just a little cheap singer from wally world. I'm not sure how adjustable it is.

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's 3.6 apex. Not sure of weight don't have a scale.

So would you think i need to add tension or take tension away. My machine is just a little cheap singer from wally world. I'm not sure how adjustable it is.

I would pull the cradle and check the tension first. To do this hold it by the thread and drop it about a foot, the cradle should descend an inch or two before stopping. After the cradle is set start messing with the top thread tension, I typically guesstimate a little tight and then lighten it up until the thread knots or overlaps are equally through on both sides of the fabric.

ROJO23

FNG
looks good, I have been thinking about one of these to.

I had an issue with my bobbin thread on an older machine. The bobbin fit into a metal holder. I tightened the screw on the metal piece and that fixed the issue. be sure that you are following the instructions on installing the bobbin, the way the thread is install makes a big difference. I have a new machine now with a top load bobbin that just sits inside the machine without the metal holder, it works much better.

OP
W
It doesn't bunch up from what I understand. But I'm sure some one else on here might be able to answer that a lot better than me.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
it's a continuous fiber insulation- comes in sheets (varying thicknesses) so - the edges are sewn, no need for quilting or baffles (like down, primaloft, etc)

It doesn't bunch. It' a contentious fiber insulation. When you sew the edges, the APEX doesn't need baffling to hold it together. It won't clump or sag either. Climashield is TOP notch stuff fellas. Easy to work with as well. Only problem I get is pucker when sewing 3.6 ounce or higher due to the thickness and the limited space between my foot and plate on my sewing machine. NYLON stretches!!!!!!!!!!!