Stove jack install

I need to install a stove jack in my cimmaron, but I don’t have acess to a sewing machine.
I am pretty good at hand stiching various materiels (no silnylon yet) and was thinking about going this route, unless anyone thinks its a bad idea.

I was also thinking of gluing it down with a flexible epoxy like the 3m 1500 of maybe aquaseal before stitching to help lock it in place.
Thoughts?

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gluing with silicone beforehand might work but otherwise is not a very good idea. The silnylon is very slippery and difficult to work with, even with professional grade equipment, and will likely be a nightmare by hand. I've got some silnylon scraps in different grades I could send you to play with before messing with a $400 shelter if you want.

Live2hunt custom shelters

I would send it out and have it done. Maybe somebody on here does this?
Maybe somebody on here could help get that done for a fair price. There has to be some body on here that works with these type of tipi's?
:)

That way it is done and done right and your high end shelter stays high end and works flawlessly for ya !!

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
I think you’d be pushing it to try by hand. My old sewing machine had some moments along the way dealing with the stove jack material, but got through it okay. One of the more pain in the butt parts was when I made some Velcro tabs to help with the top piece staying closed. The only Velcro I could find in the width I wanted had the sticky backing. I figured it wouldn’t matter-I could stick the piece down and stitch through it all. The adhesive gummed up the needle something fierce and made life suck for a while. I altered course after that. I’d imagine it might really suck to try sewing that on by hand through some adhesive....

Jeremy

Napperm4

WKR
I’d definitely avoid hand stitching anything like that. Keep in mind it’s a piece which if there is a failure will comprise the shelter. With wind/snow/rain a possibility in most trips I wouldn’t want to bet on saving a few bucks here for the risk of cutting a hunt short.

If you buy your jack from SO, the price includes installation, I would just go that route.

I do a lot of diy and even with a heavy duty machine and proper needles installing the jack and seaming it properly was a pain. Next time I would just get it in and have it done professionally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CDNPO

FNG
Another option is a local seamstress/tailor. They tend be able to turn things over pretty quick and if you marked with chalk where you want it and pull a few pics from the net, it wouldn't be hard and won't cost much for them to do.
Or buy a used sewing machine and start DIYing other gear too!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

5shot

Lil-Rokslider
I did one for a member here. Wasn't too bad (I have a walking foot, needle feed industrial machine). Shoot me a PM if you want to discuss.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
skaldugwas
You guys scared some sense into me. I sent it to seekoutside to have them install it.
What a great company to work with. I shipped it to them on friday, Today (monday) I just got an email that said my order has been processed and shipped!
Crazy! They just earned a loyal customer for life.

Mike7

WKR
I marked on my shelter where I wanted the jack placed, and have had bearpaw wilderness designs sew on two different jacks (one of their own and one from another company) on different shelters, and they did a great job.

Mike7

WKR
Seam grip on thicker urethane coated shelters is good for tacking the jack in place, but when hand sewing it becomes a bit of a pain to shove the needle through the seam grip. I am not sure if silnet used on a stove jack on a silnylon shelter would create the same issue?

colersu22

WKR
I did one for a member here. Wasn't too bad (I have a walking foot, needle feed industrial machine). Shoot me a PM if you want to discuss.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

That was me, you put one in my mountainsmith LT for me. I ended up selling that shelter and buying a Cimarron and had seek outside sew the stove jack in for me on that one, it is nice to have the extra space vs the mountainsmith.

By the way I checked out your site and you make some insanely nice leather holsters, with my new build I was going to give you a call and try and pick one up for EDC.