Cylinder stove- idea

Beendare

WKR
Just thinking out loud....has anyone tried a stove within a stove?

So picture one of those stoves like the Lite Outdoors then add an outer layer of shim forming about a 1" or so cavity that you fill with sand and gravel. [put one end together, fill the void, then put the front end on]

Wouldn't this act as a heat sink?

I used to put my home made version with no legs in a ring filled with rocks/gravel....where possible...and that acted to retain and radiate heat longer. Not to huge effect...but a little.

Last edited:

colonel00

WKR
Interesting idea. Might be a little heavy to support and I wonder if it would start to buckle or pop the ends off with the weight. Also, I think it would take a bit of work to have that inner cylinder hold it's shape. Not only does it have a bit of weight on and around it but you'd need to figure out a way to support the ends inside of bigger end plates that are holding the larger outer skin in place.

I've often talked about and wanted to, but never have yet, just build a fireplace around the stove with rocks to use as a heat sink. Someone did mention a potential issue if the rocks have any moisture in them that they might pop.

FlyGuy

WKR
Interesting idea. Might be a little heavy to support and I wonder if it would start to buckle or pop the ends off with the weight. Also, I think it would take a bit of work to have that inner cylinder hold it's shape. Not only does it have a bit of weight on and around it but you'd need to figure out a way to support the ends inside of bigger end plates that are holding the larger outer skin in place.

I've often talked about and wanted to, but never have yet, just build a fireplace around the stove with rocks to use as a heat sink. Someone did mention a potential issue if the rocks have any moisture in them that they might pop.
I havent tried this, but if you have a campfire, like in a basecamp, just toss the rocks in there for a bit and all the moisture should be gone. Then transfer.

I've also thought of things like this that I imagine I could do while I'm on my couch thinking about September. But when I'm there I never see my tent much and when I do I end up being too tired to even think about tackling projects like this.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Reactions: REB
OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Oh no....you never want to toss wet rocks into a fire.....they can explode big time.

Doesn't happen with some metamorphic rock....or lava rock....if you aren't confident in your Geological skills....don't do it.
>>>-------------->

Re inner and outer.....If you knew you could fill the void with clean sand....you wouldn't have a problem. I just don't know how you can guarantee finding exactly what you need at remote camp spots.

Another option would be to install a little battery powered fan that pumps cold air into the void and out into the tent.

Lukeyn

Lil-Rokslider
Oh no....you never want to toss wet rocks into a fire.....they can explode big time.

Doesn't happen with some metamorphic rock....or lava rock....if you aren't confident in your Geological skills....don't do it.
>>>-------------->

Re inner and outer.....If you knew you could fill the void with clean sand....you wouldn't have a problem. I just don't know how you can guarantee finding exactly what you need at remote camp spots.

Another option would be to install a little battery powered fan that pumps cold air into the void and out into the tent.
We used to put rocks in a fire, wait about an hour, then pick em up with a shovel and put them in a 5 gallon bucket. Kaboocha. At 12 years old we thought it was awesome.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk