Kifaru Nomad vs Nomad 2 - can you diy the upgrades?

Just hopped on the kifaru train, and bought a duplex. I’ve always been drawn to the Nomad, but honestly can’t decipher exactly what the differences are between the Nomad and the Nomad 2, having never laid a hand on either.

Tell me this, though: for those of you that have had/seen both, can the improvements of the Nomad 2 be “diyed” into the original Nomad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Napperm4

WKR
DIY Nomad 2, camp bag, grab it, and lid.
DIY Nomad 2, camp bag, grab it, and lid.

Not exactly what you’re looking for but there are a few threads on nomad mods. There was one in the classifieds a while back where someone did exactly what you’re asking about but I can’t seem to find it.

If I recall the difference between the 2 is the compression straps run in front of / behind the bat wings. Don’t quote me on that though. It’s been a while.

Check out Pods8 threads. He does some awesome work and if you can’t tackle it yourself, I’m sure he can.

Yes they can. To a certain degree... I took my Nomad and added tabs for a center buckle set up. Also cut holes where the bag meets the back panel that allowed straps to run over or under the wings. Might. It have been the prettiest work but it was super functional and worked great. Will have to dig around to find some old pics of it. Sold it to a buddy because the AMR does everything for me and the Nomad wasn’t getting any use.

Differences are this:

1) PALS on the center part vs connection tabs
2) Vertical zip on the wing pockets vs top zip
3) Plastic sheet in the wing pockets to keep shape
4) Water bottle pockets on the inside of the wing pockets is now gusseted and the full height of the wing
5) Load lifter holes in the Hypalon sleeve that goes over top of the frame. This is necessary if combined with the new frames and you want a lower load lifter angle. I think they posted a pattern online, if not email them and they'll send it. This is easy and can be done with a sharp knife.
6) Wing connection point no longer solid so compression straps can be fed between the frame and the wings to compress just the inner load.

Last edited:

colonel00

WKR
Somewhat related, I made mods to my EMRII to mimic the Fulcrum. Same basic changes as the Nomad to Nomad II. The only things that are truly difficult are the vertical zips (still doable but you have a top zip too) and the plastic sheet. I didn't mess with either of these with my mods. Mostly, I was looking for the strapping capabilities of the new design where you don't have to run the compression straps around the wings. That and I modded the top of the bag to function as a lid but that doesn't apply to the Nomad (II).

OP
cvandervort
Awesome. Thanks, guys!

Squirrels, I like the horn hauler-ish design!
I don’t suppose you have templates/drawings you’d like to share...?