Krylon!

Just took the rattle can to a high tech specialties stock that I’ve had for a while but never did anything other than leave it the grey gel coat. This will do for the 2018-19 season I think. Not great but good enough for the girls I go out with

ab6e47644b561f4b6649822f9e53d732.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NDGuy

WKR
How hard is this to do? I’ve been wanting to spray paint my tikka stock. It’s a standard one.

• Banned
OP
juan trueno
Easy to do. I’ll post up some techniques later. I’m on the road as it stands now.
Other than the prep. The most important thing is to make sure your stencils don’t All come out looking like A bunch of weird dicks. Also once you start putting stencils down it is important that they overlap and touch in places. Or it comes out looking like a bunch of stickers instead of a pattern

Last edited:
  • Banned
OP
juan trueno
Here’s a brief rundown...

Prep- i hit the stock with the scotch bright pads to get the surface ready for paint. I’m not trying to remove a ton of material here- just get the surface ready for good paint adhesion. I like to wash the stock with hot soapy water and then let it dry- and finally using a lint free cloth a runnit down with acetone. I handle the stock only with the cloth or nitrile gloves from this point so as to avoid contamination from skin oils.

Once it’s dry, throw down a base coat and then another after an hour or so. While the second coat is drying I start making stencils. I like bigger type pattern so I use about 4 stencils per side per application. I drop four on each side how I like them, and then paint that and while it’s drying make a new stencil sheet and start again. Apply the second round of stencils- insure they overlap a little bit here and there. And paint again. The final color. So it’s paint stencil paint stencil paint. Remove all stencils after a few hours and leave it alone for a few days or week depending on weather. If it’s hot out don’t paint in the sun. If it’s windy don’t paint where dirt or crumbs of dust will get in it. Choose the right product for your stock also. Any of the ultra flat colors will work. Krylon, rustileum, whatever.

If you have a plastic stock you need to use “fusion” or paint like it that’s designed for that type of plastic which includes a release agent as part of
It’s composition- which is why they always feel a little slick, and are a pain to get bedded and keep bedded. Any regular old wood stock or a stock that’s a cloth and epoxy layup will take paint really well. Probably cost 40$ to get out the door at homedepot and you can paint all your shize over and over again. As needed or desired. I use flexible cutting boards from Walmart or target if you are wealthy, and 2” painters tape for my stencils.

6fc93fbfdfcf8fb62237f09f3f421b92.jpg

OP
juan trueno
I try to stick mainly with dick and balls, sperm, rubber ducky, dog bone, or a wierd x or y. Those shapes all seem to work well. I’ve killed a lot of stuff with a rifle all painted up with rubber duckys and no one ever had a clue.

Here we are ready to apply the second coat of paint.
15adeff35bcb4acc0a5c73e60196c6ca.jpg
a727ea34079a1d3643c1b7d233dcc585.jpg

Last edited: