DIY Tent Guyouts

tam9492

WKR
Getting things together to stitch up my first tent. Going with the Sawtooth style in this forum. The one question I still have is about the guyouts. I'm not entirely sure how they should be stitched in. Can someone post up some photos showing how this is done?

My machine is currently being cleaned and serviced. It has a walking foot, too. Keep the walking foot or get a standard foot? Also thinking about a zipper foot.

gumbl3

WKR
I can't answer for any but the last... Zipper foot is a must IMO... Makes a nice clean stitch right up next to the zipper.. All my other sewing looks like crap but the stitches up the zipper I do look great

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
I second the zipper foot-it just allows for much better results when trying to stitch next to the zipper(s). As for the guy outs, I have done it two ways. On my tarp, I made up some seam sealer and had some round reinforcing "patches" that I'd cut out of the same silpoly the tarp was made out of. I laid out the tarp and while wearing nitrile gloves, I soaked the patches in the seam sealer, and used my fingers to kinda squeegee off the excess, then put them in place on the tarp and let them dry. I did the same thing for all the stake down reinforcement points, as well. After everything had dried, I stitched the perimeter of the patches and having them glued down made it really easy.

On my pyramid, I didn't end up gluing the reinforcing patches on... The pyramid was bigger and there were some logistical challenges to having an area that would accommodate the attempt. I could have managed to get it done in stages (do a wall or two, then let dry and then do others, etc.), but I just didn't want to take days to get it accomplished. Instead, I used some of the widest grosgrain I could find (I think 2+ inch) for the reinforcement patches. I cut them and then just stitched them straight to the fabric on the interior of the tent. When I seam sealed the tent, I pretty well saturated the patches.

On both projects, I used grosgrain on the exterior to make loops and stitched them to the outside. I hope that helps.

Jeremy

bmart2622

WKR
I used triangular cut pieces of the same material made my tarp out of. I used 2 pieces per guy out. I used grosgain for the guyout loop and placed it between the 2 triangular pieces and sewed it together and then onto the tarp.

OP
tam9492

tam9492

WKR
Sounds like everyone is using similar techniques....just attaching slightly different.

530Chukar

WKR
ec2f110fb986717aa4bc52139bebab20.jpg

Not the best photo but it give you the idea. I used 3” 500d cordura circles that I cut. Used silnet to glue one on both sides of the silpoly. Then stitches around the edges and an X through the cordura. I then bar tacked a piece of gutted paracord onto the cordura and added a lineloc to them. Very strong but probably overkill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
tam9492

tam9492

WKR
How do you like the linelocs? Have them in my cart.

530Chukar

WKR
Like them so far. I’ve had them in some pretty strong winds and have yet to have one loosen up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk