Dyeing a blue backpack

CO_west

FNG
I have a Mountainsmith day/overnight pack that is blue - I'd like to dye it to be dark green or brown if that's possible. Anyone have any experience dyeing the fabric on a pack? My dumb idea was to take a yellow sharpie to it and see what happens. But I'd rather avoid making the pack look like garbage or doing something that will harm the fabric. Any ideas?

IMG_6141.jpg

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Not sure with the DWR coatings and such how well dying would work. If you want some 500d scraps for practicing stuff I can mail you some (I have some navy blue 1000d). That said I'd just use your pack as is till whenever you get the bug to upgrade. If you are paranoid about the color maybe a pack cover?

GotDraw?

WKR
Agree with Pods, get a lightweight, elastic pack cover.

My guess is that odds are high that a dye job on material that is essentially a plastic will not work or will look bad (not that the animals care).

JL

Zork

FNG
Rit dye or even Koolaid might work. If you google dying t-shirts you will probably find some good options. My experience is more with dying fly tying materials but it is real easy. Unless, the fabric coatings muck it up as mentioned.

Jackalope

FNG
I think your only real option is black. I’ve successfully rit dyed multicam cordura black. Use some boiling water with some salt added and the Liquid Rit dye. You could try the forest green to begin with and then go black (just remember you can’t go back) if it doesn’t look right.

Pontius

FNG
I tried to dye a blue cordura pack using the Rit method, black dye, but failed miserably. Some odd bits of cotton embroidery soaked it up, but the nylon just flat rejected it. Good luck, and have a plan for the 5-10 gallons of black acidic water that will be generated. :)