DIY stove help please

gwl79902

WKR
I made a DIY cylinder stove. I used pop rivets to hold hinges and stuff on. Do you think the rivets will handle the heat ok or should I put small bolts? I would hate to have the door fall off

Napperm4

WKR
Steel or aluminum rivets?

I’ve built a few stoves using rivets to hold everything on but always steel.

The max temperature of aircraft grade aluminum is 400F and most rivets aren’t that quality so they have a lower heat threshold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
G

gwl79902

WKR
I would have to look but I am sure they are cheap aluminum I did not even think about it when I got them. I would think they would melt

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
I used steel rivets for mine and have had no issues. I’d be more worried with the aluminum ones. Just not sure they’d hold up to the heat. You may be able to carefully drill them out without making the drilled holes any bigger and replace them with steel ones of the same size.

Jeremy

colonel00

WKR
Pretty sure I've used aluminum rivets on mine. I'd have to check though. If it's already done, just roll with it and see how it fares. Besides, you'll want to get out and use the stove in the off season just to get the hang of putting it together and getting it burnt in.

OP
G

gwl79902

WKR
I just went ahead and put small bolts in. I would hate to have it fail on a hunt. I also go my annex for my tarp done today and it all worked well.