diy knife sheath from a hdpe laundry soap container

Some photos of a project from a couple days ago. I've made a couple knives lately and needed some lightweight, utilitarian sheathes. I did a little research on thermoforming plastic and got some great temperature info here: THERMOFORMING: Determining the Right Temperature for Thermoforming: Plastic Distributor & Fabricator

I had my eye on an empty hdpe #2 laundry soap container. I cut our a rough shape and heated it up in our kitchen oven at 290 degrees(hoping for a ~270 deg temp on the plastic) for a few minutes until it was pliable. Being that the temp was low, I used a sheet of glossy cardboard to hole the plastic. It seemed that it was best to keep the plastic at the lowest possible temperature, while still being pliable. Once pliable, I molded the plastic around the knife with a pair of gloves on and held it in place until it cooled. You have to be quick as it cools quickly. I trimmed the rough shape, then drilled 1/16" holes along the edge for stitching. I used artificial sinew for the stitching. Overall, I'm pleased with how it turned out. The friction fit worked just as I had hoped for.

The knife is a mid sized skinner was a re-ground from an old butchers knife. The handle is stacked birch bark, walnut, hickory and brass.

0308180941_resized.jpg
0308180949_resized.jpg
0308181112a_resized.jpg
0308181132_resized.jpg

Attachments

• 0308181203a_resized.jpg
    0308181203a_resized.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 148

Fishhead

FNG
I like it... I have done similar projects with pvc. Just heat it up and mold away. I recently made a phone digiscope afapter for my spotter and an adjustable cheek riser for my rifle.

Cool project. I have played with some kydex and make sheaths and what not every now and then.

A couple of thoughts:

- Plastic can release some evil fumes in your oven and house. I use a 2nd hand toaster oven for my index projects that I keep in the garage.
- I bought a kydex press but actually still like my home brew version that was made with foam, 1x12s and clamps.
- I use a dremel and a belt sander clamped in my vice for shaping and forming.

OP
mallard833
Cool project. I have played with some kydex and make sheaths and what not every now and then.

A couple of thoughts:

- Plastic can release some evil fumes in your oven and house. I use a 2nd hand toaster oven for my index projects that I keep in the garage.
- I bought a kydex press but actually still like my home brew version that was made with foam, 1x12s and clamps.
- I use a dremel and a belt sander clamped in my vice for shaping and forming.

Some good points.
I tried to keeps the temps low to avoid fumes and think I was fairly successful, but will probably try to do an old toaster oven in the future to be safe. I did not mention it before, but I trimmed the sheath roughly to shape with a knife, then shaped with a belt sander. This worked well, but I didn't think about a dremel for the smaller curves. I just had to clean up the edges with a knife.

Cool idea...now give that thing a faux leather finish and no one will know the difference- grin

I was thinking a nice hydro-dip in the camo of your choice and that thing would be sweet! Nice job on the sheath, now you've got my mental gears turning, 'cause I needed more projects.